Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2005, 08:24 PM

Default Gross 2/4 hand with J7s

Ok, I have no reads as I've only been at the table one orbit. I don't know why I decided to try and buy the pot pre-flop. I just thought I could. It just kept getting worse and worse. I nominate this as an obvious attempt to donate money. At least the turn made me feel like I had outs.

I want to hear how bad this hand was. It still bothers me.

UTG ($420.70)
MP ($844.80)
CO ($330.20)
Button ($440.90)
Hero ($199.40)
BB ($192.20)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $28</font>, BB calls $24, UTG calls $20.

Flop: ($84) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $84</font>, BB calls $84, UTG calls $84.

Turn: ($336) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $87.4 (All-In)</font>, BB calls $80.20 (All-In), UTG folds.

River: ($503.60) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $503.60
Old 02-02-2005, 08:36 PM

Default Re: Gross 2/4 hand with J7s

BB obviously had a set or at the very least AJ. What I don't understand is why you're betting out so much on the flop with such a weak hand. You could easily have bet half the pot and still make the same impression, especially since the flop is so uncoordinated- either they have you beat or they're going to fold. Nobody is drawing here. (I doubt anyone would call the preflop raise with a 53 and nobody is going to call a flop bet with a backdoor flush draw) If they call they probably have you beat. If you bet only half the pot on the flop, you wouldn't be so pot committed and can slow WAY down on the turn, possibly check-folding.

The preflop steal was ok, but you knew you were behind preflop. I'd say your biggest mistake is the size of your flop bet. The turn bet was a desperation bet for 2-5 outs (if any). [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2005, 08:37 PM

He's raising UTG, what range of hands can you possibly put him on?

Moreover, both players flat-called flop bets. BB is absolutely terrifying. He probably flopped a set, UTG probably has QQ or possibly KK. There is no point in pushing the turn as it should be clear you have no folding equity anymore. You might as well check and hope you can peel off a free card for the flush, because pushing here is no better than calling off your whole stack with a flush draw.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:40 PM

They won't call the flop with a backdoor draw, but you don't think a rivered flush would be any good?
Old 02-02-2005, 10:03 PM

A rivered flush has to be good because you have the J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] so nobody else can have AJ[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] which is the only possible hand that could beat you if the flush comes in. This hand still basically blows, though. First of all, I'm not sure you would play AA like that and second of all, it just doesn't seem like anyone is buying what you are selling.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:36 AM

As soon as my flop bet got called I figured I was running without a ball. After the turn, I figured I had the outs to the flush, maybe 2 pair will be good, so screw it. Turns out that the BB had 99. Never know what UTG had since he folded.

This was a butchery of a hand that worked out though there's no way it ever should have. I felt like I was behind the whole way and just decided to dig my own grave, but there was a little treasure at the bottom

I assumed UTG to have a big Ace, likely suited, or KQs.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:12 AM

I'm laughing really hard that you more than doubled up like this! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Glad it worked out for you.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:26 AM

This is awesome. No way I would have thought you were ahead at any point in this hand. Well played sir [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2005, 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is awesome. No way I would have thought you were ahead at any point in this hand. Well played sir [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think UTG had QQ-AA and folded? Wouldn't it be the right play for him to fold there? Then he should have folded to the huge bet on the flop with a caller, I guess.
Just a bad place to be. Probably made him sick when he saw the showdown.