Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 01-27-2005, 11:25 AM

Default Poker Library

OK, I'm the only semi-serious player in my group of friends. They have interest, but aren't going to go out and buy many books, so I figured I'd put together a small, but solid poker library if they every wanted to borrow something. I'm just starting it and trying to make sure that I'm going in the right direction.

Right now I have:
HEFAP
NL&PL Poker
Improve your Poker
Play poker like the pros
Ken Warren Teaches Hold em (Thanks mom)
Poker Strategy by AD Livingston (Ditto)
Poker Wisdom of a Champion - nice lessons, easy read, enjoyable

I think I'll get 2 of these 3 (ITH, SSH, WLLH) for people who need some help. I could probably use the advice as well.

I'll pick up SSII, HOH, Caro's book of tells eventually.

I also want Bobby Baldwin's winning secrets (it seems like Poker wisdom of a champion)

Is there anything else that I should add to a basic library as far as essentials for strategy or that teaches a good poker lessons through road stories? I'm not looking to go overboard, but any suggestions (additions/subtractions) with a reason why will be greatly appreciated
Old 01-27-2005, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Poker Library

You need to get all of these books:

Start off with those first. For now.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Poker Library

I think ITH is a pretty good book for someone who has played a bit but not read anything, although I suspect Ed Millers upcoming book will supplant it as the best 'first read.' SSHE is a must. I've not read the Lee Jones book, but I can't imagine you need it if you are getting ITH, or vice versa. Otherwise, I think your shopping list is right on.

I just got SS2 in the mail. I haven't read too much of it yet (and the first 100 pages seem like total filler,) but I have a feeling that would be an excellent book for your lending library as well, simply because it covers many games. If one of your pals wanted to brush up on No Limit Tournament strategy, for instance, but didn't want to invest the time in HOH and TFAP, it might be an easy hundred page read to get the overview. (At least I hope it is.) Likewise, if one of your pals feels completely adrift in seven stud or Omaha 8, you can get a quick eighty or so page tutorial. At 23 bucks it's got a lot of material, but as I say, I've not read all that much of it yet, so take this endorsement with a grain of salt.