Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2005, 01:09 AM

Default Re: This video is just sick - Honda Commercial

that is not computer generated. it is 100% real. I am guessing the rolling up the hill is one thing that makes you think this is fake. you can weight a tire a certian way so when it is taped it will roll up a hill
Old 01-10-2005, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well let me tell you... that is all computer generated imagery... the physics alone are impossible in that video. There were no 500 takes to make all that happen, it looks more like Toy Story than anything else.

PG

[/ QUOTE ]

Aces is right, it's not computer generated. They had to do a few things (such as weighting the tires so they will roll up hill), but it's definitely live. Read the comments below the video.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
come again?

[/ QUOTE ]

*ahem

IT'S REAL.

No computer generated.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:28 AM

haha ok

First off I have worked in the automotive retail industry for 5 years so I am inclined to comment with a reasonably amount of certainty that the physical representations brought forth in the video are not plausable.

I am primarily referring to the tire bumping a tire bumping a tire up the ramp stunt. A typical tire mounted on an aluminum wheel weighs 40 to 50 pounds. At that slow rate of speed depicted in the commercial, there is no way enough energy could be transferred from one tire to another to create enough energy to cause the tire to roll uphill. How it was weighed is irrelevant; once the tire got to a certain point it would roll in the opposite direction if it were not balanced properly.

That aside I won't speak for any of the other anomolies in the ad.

PG
Old 01-10-2005, 01:37 AM

I am 100% sure that can be done. A tire may be weighted 40 pounds but a huge slab of concrete inside of it will make it roll the oposite direction. Also the tires could have been hollowed out.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
haha ok

First off I have worked in the automotive retail industry for 5 years so I am inclined to comment with a reasonably amount of certainty that the physical representations brought forth in the video are not plausable.

I am primarily referring to the tire bumping a tire bumping a tire up the ramp stunt. A typical tire mounted on an aluminum wheel weighs 40 to 50 pounds. At that slow rate of speed depicted in the commercial, there is no way enough energy could be transferred from one tire to another to create enough energy to cause the tire to roll uphill. How it was weighed is irrelevant; once the tire got to a certain point it would roll in the opposite direction if it were not balanced properly.

That aside I won't speak for any of the other anomolies in the ad.

PG

[/ QUOTE ]

I sold tires for 12 years, and I thought the same thing you did, but after careful perual, i am a believer; they were counterweighted, and I see easily how it could be done.

As far as the "500" takes it took; that sounds about right, but I'm betting most think that means 500 times they tried to run the whole thing through....no f'n way anyone does that. Probably 10-20 takes at each station, mebbe more, mebbe less, but Im fairly certain this is not one full, seamless shot.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:45 AM

making of the cog video cog url

If it was cg it wouldn't have been impressive
Old 01-10-2005, 04:52 AM

Default Tire insight

Notice that no tire is rolling a full circle. So it's more like having to move an arc-formed object rather than a circular object. Near the end point of the arc, its "landing" spot, is where you put the weights. Then you balance the wheel on the initial arc spot, the "starting" spot. At the slightest tilt, the weights move away from the vertical axe of the center of gravity and start tilting the arc/wheel forward.

Note that there is the usual transfer of kinetic power (billard ball-like) when one wheel hits the other but without the weights, that would not be enough to move them up hill at that angle. Just MHO.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This reminded me of that DVD of the computer generated things playing music. Like, balls would get shot out of things and hit cymbals and drums and xylophones and stuff. Or like, there was a gear one and a conveyer belt one. I only saw it once, but that DVD was and is SICK. I seriously wish I knew the name of it so I could buy it now. Somebody?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nevermind, found it. I googled random words descibing it and it was the first hit. I rule!

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Beyond exclaiming your greatness (thanks to Google), a link of your find would be great! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as the "500" takes it took; that sounds about right, but I'm betting most think that means 500 times they tried to run the whole thing through....no f'n way anyone does that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, that's exactly what they did.

They were certainly trying to get it all at once, and just kept setting everything up until it worked. The shoot ended up around 3 days and 500 takes. (Those numbers might be a little off, but they're close.)