Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2004, 07:31 PM

Default Play Like Chan (new book)

Johnny Chan has a book coming up called Play Like Chan. If you go to the website, you will find free excerpts from various pages from the book. My question is, if the entire book is the exact same quality as the free excerpts, would you rate it a good book?

Yes, I realize that some parts of the book could be better than the free excerpts while the other parts could be worse. But for the sake of answering my question, assume that overall the entire book is the same quality as the excerpts. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Play Like Chan (new book)

Men the Master doesn't read poker books. IMPOSTOR!!!!!!
Old 12-29-2004, 07:53 PM

So hard to tell from short excerpts. Doesn't look earth shattering. It says it's aimed for for beginers-intermediates so it probably has a bunch of chapters that are really basic.

All that being said, Chan is my favorite poker player, so I'm sure I'll buy it.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:56 PM

Looks like it will be a series of books so maybe
he will have some more advanced stuff in a later book.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:30 PM

honestly, it looks pretty terrible. i mean, wtf is he saying on page 189? sometimes i bluff. sometimes i leave him enough chips so that if he hits his draw i can fold...unless i have a hand, then i will call him down. if he has a draw, he will just call. if we both have draws i can either put him all in or check behind.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:17 AM

hmmm, javascript website. I'll wait and thumb through it at Barnes & Noble.

Anywayyy, nice hodgepodge of chips on the cover. And his head is like a Macy's Thanksgiving float.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:54 AM

On the back cover, there is a quote from Hellmuth that claims Chan is the best poker tournament player he has ever faced...sound familiar? Chan had the exact same quote in Hellmuth's book - Play Poker like the Pros.

This book also appears to be similiar to Hellmuth's in that it has small sections on selected games. The problem with that is that it only covers the basics for a few games without enough to really master one. It looks to me that it will be a very beginner book with nothing significantly different than the other beginner/intermediate books out there.

With Johnny's unique and fascinating background and experiences, I really think that this book would be more attractive if it included anecdotes and stories from some of his tournaments...I mean..this guy is a legend! Very few players have the iconic status of Chan!
Old 12-30-2004, 07:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
honestly, it looks pretty terrible. i mean, wtf is he saying on page 189? sometimes i bluff. sometimes i leave him enough chips so that if he hits his draw i can fold...unless i have a hand, then i will call him down. if he has a draw, he will just call. if we both have draws i can either put him all in or check behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Respectfully,

I disagree; anytime you can look at a situation through a different person's eyes there is an opportunity to learn a great deal. While this book (and hellmuth's book(S)) may not be full of the sound theory that a 2+2 book would contain, there is still something to be learned from it.....I guarantee it. On a closing note I hate to sound cliché but

"The mind is like a parachute...it works best when open"

p.s. if I get any BS replies with someone listing their poker resume to me to imply that they are a "great" players, I say this...the way that extremely successful people become so is by constantly reevaluating themselves and applying new concepts to their expertise...

p.p.s. If this doesn't make sense I will edit it tomorrow as my friends and I have been celebrating (and mourning) the buckeyes' win (and loss) all night

Everyone have a safe and happy new year full of preferably high suited or paired cards!!!!

Johnny
Old 12-30-2004, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there is a quote from Hellmuth that claims Chan is the best poker tournament player he has ever faced.

[/ QUOTE ]

i like how he cleverly, and implicitly, recuses himself from the "people he has played against" since he just as easily could have said "Johnny is the best tournament poker player in the world".
Old 12-30-2004, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there is a quote from Hellmuth that claims Chan is the best poker tournament player he has ever faced.

[/ QUOTE ]

i like how he cleverly, and implicitly, recuses himself from the "people he has played against" since he just as easily could have said "Johnny is the best tournament poker player in the world".

[/ QUOTE ]

What is also interesting is that both Hellmuth and Chan endorse each other as the best tournament player they have every played against..but neither Hellmuth or Chan would comment specifically about each other's book's content or even specifically endorse each other's book.