Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2004, 01:57 PM

Default Re: KK from the small blind vs all in from big blind??

I agree it's hard to fold in this spot, and it really depends on how much he does something like this. against sane players this is aces a very large percentage of the time, and against fish it's a hand like JJ/AKs that wants to "win the pot without a fight".

what do you guys do if you're in the SB with AA? I rarely if ever smooth call with AA, but I might do it here if I thought hero would put me on JJ/QQ/AK and I could give him a big pair, because the stacks are perfect for the trusty 'ol bet reraise-allin on the flop.

--turnipmonster
Old 12-29-2004, 05:03 PM

If you can afford to play at this level I would make the call (though I would be pretty nervous until I saw the cards turn over).
Old 12-29-2004, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you can afford to play at this level I would make the call (though I would be pretty nervous until I saw the cards turn over).

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. This is really just a "does he or doesn't he" situation. Against aces you're screwed and anything else you're pretty good.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:31 PM

I have never played that high and don't know how the game usually plays, but it would seem to me that barring a lot of reraises by you b4 the flop, he sees your re-raise out of the small blind as a pretty strong hand. For him to go all-in with this massive overbet, I think he expects (wants) a call.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:33 PM

Since I've never had an opportunity to win 6 or lose 6 grand in a single hand my opinion isn't worth much but I really don't think I could lay down KK in that situation, especially with the guy's curious play earlier even if it was only a small sample.

I can usually handle these posts in the smaller stakes forums without seeing the results but I'm really dying to hear what you did and how it turned out, that's like 3 months pay for my poor ass [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2004, 05:04 PM

Default Re: HAND RESULTS/CONFESSION

THIS POST CONTAINS THE RESULTS OF THE HAND. DON"T READ IF YOU DON"T WANT TO KNOW

First, I confess that I was actually the BB in this hand. I was curious what other people thought about what I (BB) had based on my bet and what others would do in the SB position. It seems the popular opinion was call, SB most likely has the best of it. If BB has AA, tip your cap. I'm not sure what I would have done in the SB position. I probably would have called as well and cursed the poker gods afterwards if I lost.

My thoughts on my push of (AA) were that the SB has played with some aggression, but never really doing anything preflop such as re-raising from 175 to 800. This put two things in my head strong hand or big bluff.

If it's a strong hand, he might come along and I'll have alot of difficulty getting away from AA if he out flops me.

If it's a big bluff, I'm not likely getting any more than what's in the pot (unless he has me beat on the flop, then I'm getting nothing).

A flat call of 800 from the BB I figured would put up major flags. A possible preflop re-raise war kind of screams AA as well. So I pushed, which according to the majority of people seems really suspicious.

My thinking for the push was I could win 1k now, or go to the board as at least an 80% favorite or even with all the money in. Also, the UTG maybe would have called 625 more if he had a hand, which would have lowered my edge.

The board was kind. Nothing over a 10 and a rainbow. I doubled up.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:51 PM

Default Re: HAND RESULTS/CONFESSION

Great play man - Very nice, and your reasoning is spot on. Such a rare opportunity, but well played.