Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 01-18-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Risk -World Domination

Taking Australia is my preferred method. After devoting a little bit of my army to defending that border, I'll keep all the rest of my units together and repeatedly attack an undefended country on each turn to receive a card. If there are enough people playing, it's usually very difficult for anyone else to control any of the other continents for more than one turn. You can stockpile units faster than anyone else, and no one can attack you without sacrificing most of their own army. Eventually you'll get an opportunity to make some sort of a move to put yourself in control of the game.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:05 PM

Clearly if you can claim any continent relatively early and uncontested, South America is the best. This isn't even close, and it doesn't matter how many players are playing either..
Old 01-18-2005, 02:25 PM

I prefer the chameleon approach. Concentrate on the nearest easy target where you get dealt. If I capture South America within the first move and can defend it through the turn the game is over. North America and Africa will soon fall. Australia and Africa are also viable routes but they take a little more work.

Europe is by far the crappiest to get dealt into, but I have defender her before.

Or you can try the sneak attack and slowly grab Asia within a few turns while hiding your intentions, usually by countering or blocking the Australian battle which is definately going on pretty much on any risk board. Conditions need to be ideal for this to work though.

Risk 2210 AD is a pretty cool change of pace from the original, a little more in depth battle (generals, colonize the moon, nuclear waste lands, treaties, etc.)

Someday I'll enter the Risk tournament of champions. risktoc.org
Old 01-18-2005, 07:12 PM

Everyone knows what you're doing if you jump into australia.

I tend to go for what i call the "loose africa" or loose europe strategy, as oppposed to the tight australia or tight S america. ie, don't aim to control any continent too early; nobody lets you get away with it anyway - rightly so.

I fill up most of africa usually and just tool around for several moves - pick up the cards and let others butt heads, while i sit there innocuously. Then I pounce once I can cash cards for a a goodly amount, sometimes waiting til I'm forced to cash. The snake in the grass approach.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:30 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

there are *SO* many better board/card games than risk. www.boardgamegeek.com read and learn.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:44 AM

astro,

that looks like abig site.

How's about you tell us a few games that might be good for us strategists.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:51 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i'm not a big wargamer but you probably want to check out mare nostrum, war of the ring, and wallenstein off the top of my head. memoir '44 for something lighter. just look at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/rankbrowse.php3 to get started.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:57 PM

risk

thats what the 2+2ers play. its a small prog and pretty fun. theres also a 2+2/risk channel on irc called #acesfull dno if any1 is ever awake in there though.

if you see me on irc or pm me or something ill show you how it works if you want and play with you
Old 01-29-2005, 03:09 PM

Quick newbie question. Is Middle East supposed to be connected to East Africa? On the new version it is CLEARLY connected but on an older version it doesn't look like it is.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:33 PM

I have 2 versions.

The original game I have from the 60's is connected via a bridge.

The 40th anniversary edition is not connected.

Gull