Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2004, 09:55 PM

Default AA in MP

In the previous hand, SB smoothed called with middle pair on the flop, and then led the action on the turn. doesn't raise preflop but will cold-call.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (10.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls.

River: (14.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 16.50 BB, between Hero and SB.</font>

when the board paired on the turn - i decided to raise until met with resistance.

when SB bet into me on the river after i raised on the turn, i decided just to call.

comments appreciated! thanks
Old 12-06-2004, 10:02 PM

Default Re: AA in MP

i'd probably just call down when he bets the turn. win the most when ahead, lose the least when behind.

the only reason to raise protection wise is to fold a gutshot from the button.. that's not too common.

he's either got 9x and keeps betting when the overcard doesn't fall or a very weak T. passive players hate to 3-bet.. but sometimes play big hands like this.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:16 PM

i don't know why you'd call on the turn.

he previously raised with middle pair so i won't give him credit for a ten until he plays like he has 3 tens. i wouldn't credit most players with 3 of a kind in a 3-way pot until they starting jamming.

and my raise forces the button to cold-call and we went head-up on the end.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't know why you'd call on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

he might be bluffing. i don't want him to stop. if he'll only bet with a piece of the board (and call down), then raise.

[ QUOTE ]
and my raise forces the button to cold-call and we went head-up on the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't want the button to fold unless he has a gutshot, which is unlikely.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:36 PM

please explain why for all three:

1)why would you want to keep him bluffing.
2)explain the second sentence and why:if he'll only bet with a piece of the board (and call down), then raise.
3)why would i want the button to call. the pot is big and i want to take it down.

thanks
Old 12-06-2004, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1)why would you want to keep him bluffing.

[/ QUOTE ]

if he's bluffing and you raise, he'll fold right there.. but may bet again on the river (or pick up a pair and call a river bet). you make more by being passive if he's bluffing.

[ QUOTE ]
2)explain the second sentence and why:if he'll only bet with a piece of the board (and call down), then raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

if your read is strong enough that you can rule out a bluff, then 9x is more likely than Tx. the problem with raising him if he is betting 9x is that he may again find a fold. if he'll never fold 9x here, then a raise is fine.

[ QUOTE ]
3)why would i want the button to call. the pot is big and i want to take it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have a very strong hand on this board. no flush can come. the only hand that you can give the button improper odds to call with (that can beat you) is a gutshot. an OESD has more than enough odds to call 2 bets on the turn. while its better to charge an OESD more on the turn, you are more likely to end up chasing out an overcard or weak pair type hand which only has 2 outs to beat you. if someone doesn't have odds to call, you want them to call. button cold-called the flop, so he may make another call on the turn if you don't face him with 2 bets.

either line is probably fine here, it really is opponent dependent.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:06 PM

Hmm this hand is interesting. Against the player you talk about, I don't know about the turn raise. That being said, I think you should fold the river. When you raise the flop and turn, you are telling him (I have a Ten) and he keeps firing back. When he comes back again on the river, there is almost no way he can be bluffing IMO.

Shill
Old 12-06-2004, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if he's bluffing and you raise, he'll fold right there..

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome. if he's bluffing, i win the pot right away. winning the pot right away if way more EV then enticing a call or inducing a bluff. am i wrong?

[ QUOTE ]
but may bet again on the river (or pick up a pair and call a river bet). you make more by being passive if he's bluffing.

[/ QUOTE ]

i make more if i give him and the button a chance to improve instead of taking it down right there? if i'm ahead on the turn, then raising it +EV.

[ QUOTE ]
if your read is strong enough that you can rule out a bluff, then 9x is more likely than Tx. the problem with raising him if he is betting 9x is that he may again find a fold. if he'll never fold 9x here, then a raise is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is what i see when i look into it:

ok, so he is behind on the turn.

i raise, both fold. - great
i raise, i force button out and he calls. - good
i call, button folds, he calls. - ok
i call, button calls, he calls. - not as great.

maybe i don't get a certain concept. but then again, i'd rather play it straight forward rather than getting tricky.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm this hand is interesting. Against the player you talk about, I don't know about the turn raise. That being said, I think you should fold the river. When you raise the flop and turn, you are telling him (I have a Ten) and he keeps firing back. When he comes back again on the river, there is almost no way he can be bluffing IMO.

Shill

[/ QUOTE ]

fold the river? the last hand he won bet with middle pair. i don't know the exact numbers, but i'm sure i need to make this river call.

i don't think he is thinking anything at this point as relates to my hand. this is .50/1.00

----------------------

if anything, i raised preflop from MP, so it's not as likely that I have a ten.

why would a preflop raise, then a flop raise tell him i have a ten? and then...

why would a preflop raise, then a flop raise and then a turn raise tell him i have a ten?

all assuming he has a "read" on my hand
Old 12-06-2004, 11:20 PM

I probably would have called down from the turn on. I see no reason to raise the turn. You either have him drawing to 2 outs or vice versa.

Any reasonable player will fold 9x on the turn when you raise them again. This hand is exactly how poor players play trips/boats. They don't 3-bet for some reason and love to stop and go on all streets. Your turn raise doesn't tell him that you have a ten, but it tells him that you have a big hand. When he fires again on the river, he is surely not bluffing into the strength you have shown (and he surely has at least a 10).