Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-16-2004, 12:31 PM

Default Optimal position in SnG\'s

Hey

This evening i came to think about if it was possible to calculate the statistically best spot at an SnG, where you can pick the spot yourself, for example at Party.

I almost always sit at the same spot if possible, and at least at the same side of the table. Am i the only one with this habit?

We all know that it can be lucrative to have certain player types to your left/right, and using PokerTracker it should be possible to see where the most winning players usually sit at the table.

I know this would take a very large number of SnG's in PT, but wouldn't it be possible? There might not be very much to gain from it, i'm just thinking about it theoretically.

What do you say?
Old 11-16-2004, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Optimal position in SnG\'s

I'd say it's useless and a waste of time, both practically and theoretically.

eastbay
Old 11-16-2004, 04:14 PM

I say I try to pick a seat that roughly corresponds to position of the window on my screen. For example, if I am going to put the window in the upper-left corner, I will try to pick a seat on the upper-left corner of the table.

This is a throwback from when I would multitable, but didn't have high enough resolution to do so without overlapping windows. Using this "system," I would always be able to see my cards despite the overlap. Now it's just force of habit.

As far as trying to show whether or not sitting in a specific seat is +EV or -EV goes, don't bother. It's a waste of time.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:46 PM

I think the EV you would gain from <$100 SNG's would be less than your hourly rate lost in the time it takes to decide where to sit.

-SmileyEH
Old 11-16-2004, 07:41 PM

I always sit in the 1 seat if possible.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:42 PM

Is he asking if it is profitable to sit in a certain seat number every time or if it is profitable to sit relative to a player you have notes on (not same seat every time)?
Old 11-16-2004, 07:57 PM

I know that it won't be worth the EV at all, i just think it might be fun to see if there is any kind of relation between the type of players and the place they sit. At the low limit levels this would be impossible due to the bazillion of different players.

I'm not thinking about where to sit relative to players you already have notes about.

Say that you categorized all your players in your database as TAG, LAG, LAA, TAA and so on. If you could then prove that the LAA and the LAG's usually sit at the right side of the table, then you might be able to find the optimal side / position at the table.

And as said, i know this won't be worth the EV comparing to the time taken doing the calculations, i just think it would be fun to see if there was some relation [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]