Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 08-23-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Re: I think my biggest leak is...

There really is a very, very thick line between 1bb/100 and 3bb/100.

-d
Old 09-03-2005, 01:33 AM

This is my first post, and I've only been playing for a couple of months, but I've been avidly reading posts and learning. What a great site! And this post from Ed Miller about playing overcards was very relevant for me tonight, so I thought I'd bump it.

I've been playing the same 1/2 table on Paradise for about 4 hours now. There was, at any given time, 2-3 very very loose aggressive players at the table, plus a couple of sharks. I tend to play tight aggressive, perhaps too aggressive, especially after the flop (I'm working on that). These LAG's were calling or raising with any damn cards. Since I only play good starting hands, that was fine by me.

HOWEVER...I got creamed several times by playing my overcards on the flop aggressively, getting called or raises by these nutballs, then losing the showdown because they paired something ridiculously small. ARRGGGH!

First, I closed the other table I was playing (I'm probably too new for that anyway; just combating boredom), and then I started in on my books, looking up "overcards on the flop."

Lee Jones..."ditch them."

Carson...."ditch them."

Okay, by now I'm thinking I've been doing the wrong thing and it's time to roll over more often. My SSHE is no where to be found (of course, my favorite, and I move it all over the house), so I started searching 2+2 and found this thread.

Ed is right...if you play the overcards correctly and carefully in the right situation, they can make more than the money lost when they don't work out. I'm not saying that I interpreted his post to mean I should play them all the time, but against LAGs, I should at least slow down (call instead of raising), and see what happens on the turn. I immediately won a $29, then a $17 pot buy calling the flop, then cramming it to them when I made top pair. Again, I'm aware that the situation must be evaluated before playing this way, but I am starting to feel like I've got a much better grip on how to play these.

Any thoughts?

BTW...I just took down 20 BBs against a LAG. We both had trips, but I had the Ace kicker. HOLD OUT FOR THE GOOD STARTING HANDS, NEWBIES!
Old 09-27-2005, 09:37 PM

End of September BUMP

(add to favorites)

-ZEN
Old 09-28-2005, 01:43 PM

Maybe this is too huge a question, but how would I go about looking for those tough post-flop leaks? I play SS online, but my PT database is only at about 20k hands. Are there any stats there that I can trust at all, or is it pretty much insignificant in every way until I play another 100k or so?

Thanks again for this thread Ed, every little bit helps. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

-Adam
Old 09-28-2005, 02:44 PM

I love this post. Thanks a mil Ed Miller.

I read in your bio that you play live 2/4 through 30/60 (i could be wrong on this one)

I totally agree with the leak idea. I read the line in your book about not folding too much in big pots, and lo and behold, I did it anyway. I felt sick to think that I lost close to 200 bb in one hundred hours because if this leak. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I capped it though.

I would like to know how to know when you are "stacking up" to expert play. How many bb should an expert expect to earn playing live lower limits, discounting bbj and comps?
Old 09-29-2005, 01:01 AM

Great thread Ed, thank ya much. Convinced me to buy your book.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:52 AM

OK....I've always had a nagging problem with this thread and have never been able to wrap my mind around it. Today, it hit me.

There is another thread going around right now called "Getting to Know you:2+2 Syle" or something like that. One of the questions is what is everyone's biggest leak.

Did anyone else notice most of the leaks listed would be consistent with 'minor' or 'small' leaks according to this thread? Why is that?

Many people seem to really like this thread, yet their answers for their biggest leaks are not consistent with it.

Is everyone lying to themselves about their biggest leak? Possibly, but I don't think that is it.

I think people are being truthful about their biggest leak. I just think the big leaks mentioned in this thread were patched a long, long time ago by most everyone who participates in the 2+2 community. Most posters have read and reread and applied and reread and studied and applied and reread and studied and applied and reread SSHE, HPFAP, TOP, etc. We don't make the big mistakes. We know J7s sucks. We know JTs plays well in multi-way pots. We know not to call a 3-bet preflop with AQo. We know not to call the raise of someone with a 2% PFR with AJs. We know to raise (or check-raise, or wait for a safe turn to get the big bet raise) aggressively to both protect our hands and gain value. We know to call a last bet when the pot is large. So on and so forth.

So, I think, when someone here says their biggest leak is "...........," they are telling the truth. I don't think it's that they don't know the difference between a big leak and a small one. The leaks here are the ones that cost 0.2BB/100 hands, not 2+BB/100 hands.

Ok...for many people here, this thread might be great advice. For me, and many others, I don't think it applies all that much.

Then again, my brain is probably malfunctioning.

Just wanted to throw my two cents in and see what responses come about.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:06 AM

after playing the last few weeks on 2/4 tables that have saw flop percentages less than 30, pots less than 5 big bets, 15-19%VPIP and 8%PFR....I again state my position that this is just not true. The big leaks are few and far between. Maybe, this was true in years past, but todya's online 2/4 and 3/6 do not possess the 'biggest leaks,' except for a very tiny minority that we all poach upon.