Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 08-05-2004, 09:09 PM

Default Re: How to defend against a Crazy Fabsoul situation

"Having a monster stack is a huge advantage for a skilled player."

I never suggested otherwise. Heh, playing at the Vic I'm aware of that in RL. However, very few of the players there with a massive stack get to lose it all in a session. (They need to take lessons in loosening up from Pete). That wasn't really the point I was making - perhaps I didn't express it that well and it was a fairly mundane one. It is, that once you are down X or Y buy ins - but especially so in RL, it will be hard work making it back again that session. Or, if I'm in that situation, I'm not going home. I'm going to the bar to drown my sorrows. And I'm giving up for that evening. No matter how good the game is. Although this is perhaps meaningless if, as we should, you look at poker as just one long session...

On a separate note, I don't recall many good Vic players engaging in coin flip decisions preflop - most of them have very good hands when they get it all in PF or set another player all in.

Also if you have rebought, for the second or third time, will players be more or less willing to gamble with you? You could well end with them taking shots at you.

"Put another way, picture the example where Pete looses 5 coin tosses against Fabsoul before he gets his big edge. At best he wins a buyin back and is only 4 down.

In real life he could potentially shoot into profit just on that one hand. This is also not taking into account that if he had sat down with a monster stack, he probably wouldnt have lost as much prior to the big hand situation either."

I agree.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:17 PM

Default Re: How to defend against a Crazy Fabsoul situation

Essentially, especially with the lower capped buy-in games, it becomes a weird hybrid of a limit game with a very large spread between the blinds and the upper end of the limit.

Another reason why I suspect variance for online PLO is much higher than at a B&M.