Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2004, 11:04 AM

Default Re: what to do with top two?

I don't have all that much of a problem with checking, but I think you're completely underestimating how often he will checkraise the turn with a worse hand.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:43 AM

I've given this hand some thought and I think the approach you took on the flop was correct.

Now when you are called on the flop by the prop player, I wouldn't be worried but I would try to get max value from the hand.

On the turn falls a 9.

Even though this gives you two pair, I don't think betting has much value since if he has you beat you will be checkraised and if you have him beat he may fold.

I would check it back to him and then induce him to bluff on the river. If he checks on the river then you should bet.

I don't think betting on the turn has much value especially against this particular opponnent.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:42 AM

hi dave
dave it looks like a bet to me. you will call a possible check-raise with no problem, and you'll be in the lead when called a good 60+ percent of the time. while you won't 3-bet if check-raised,the draw developing pretty much requires a bet, even if this opponent won't call with any made hands that you beat.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:13 AM

It's just a differents in the limits people play. At 4-8 or 20-40, those calls don't mean much. At the higher limits, they do. Just depends on your perspective.

You are right though. I would be concerned too.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:16 AM

Alternate line:

Fold preflop.

Stand up from the table.

Walk away.

Leave your chips.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:28 AM

Before I start my rant, I would like to thank you Dynasty for your hospitality in Vegas. You were a great host and it was great meeting you. Sorry I didnt thank you earlier but I have barely been on the forums at all lately...Ok here we go...

Why such a smug 1-liner response here? Isn't that what Clark was saying should be avoided in this forum? Do you think this post has no merit? There is definitely something to this guys post and it obviously isnt as cut and dry as "me have top pair, me bet". What hand do you put the prop on? Since I saw you quoting SCSFAP earlier, what about HPFAP when they talk about checking AA behind in this same type of situation on the turn? How about this line...check the turn, bet if checked to on the river or raise a river bet. I think this could be the best line there is here. You still get the money from a single King, but you loose 1 less bet to an 8 if the 8 is scared to 3-bet...you could also safely fold to a river 3-bet. I really think this hand is player dependent and when I "prop" calls my bet here on a drawless board I am worried too...Also, I am certainly not worried about giving a free card to a showdown hand which might fold if I follow through on the turn but will pay off the river.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:41 AM

I hate to be the dork that gives the belated "second" thank you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], but I have no choice. I too had a blast and would love to do it again. I need Clarky playing my chips though.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:13 PM

Hey Dynasty why don't you get back in this thread and offer some more insight. It is very easy to make fun of a poster call a hand simple and move on if anyone challenges you. Come debate this hand with us.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:53 PM

I think betting is the best play. Checking the turn and seeing the hand is the bst emotional play (in that you never feel bluffed), but in poker you must sacrifice emotion for $$$$. There are two kings and two eights left, plus he could have some random crap lik AQ, pocket pairs...etc.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I need Clarky playing my chips though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you like owe me a drink or something. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]