Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2005, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Curtains: folding JJ after a call+raise

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what's a chonch?

[/ QUOTE ]
Somebody who interjects comments without explaining them [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, i guess i'm sometimes one of those thing.

<font color="white">i believe my original comment about the quality of this thread is pretty self explanitory, however, for a touch of explination, continue. note that this thread has people saying you should call, saying you should fold, and saying you should push. all that's missing is some moron who wants a miniraise. this is, in part, what inspires a great strategy and theory thread: a hand where even strong players have wide varieties of opinion. however, everyone in this thread, i believe without looking back for confirmation at this point, besides you, has been guilty of being a chonch. those who say to call, raise or fold just say to do that, with the deepest explains being "you're overestimating your competition," "because of your stack." that's pretty terrible if what people are interested in is why. if you want to say "becuase of your stack" you sort of have to say what it is about your stack that inspires you to say this. etc. i'm going to hold off giving any of my own analysis of this spot beyond "there are certainly players at the 200s, and likely at other stakes, against whom this fold is mandatory because you're just straight crushed." that is not to say that this fold is in general, off the bat a mandatory fold for that reason against the average player at any stake, just what i said originally. folding might be right in nearly all cases, but i'll save that for if/when i come back to do more responding in this thread. </font>

c<font color="white">honch</font>
Old 12-25-2005, 05:13 PM

citanul,

I minraise.

How do you like those apples?!

Yugoslav
Old 12-25-2005, 07:06 PM

If the intial raiser was citanul, I push secure in the knowledge that he'd fold AA knowing I would outplay him postflop.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:01 AM

There are obviously players in the 215s where doing anything but folding here is just very bad. By this I mean there is absolutely zero chance they are raising with something like AJs, or even 99 or AQo.

I don't recall knowing the player during this hand, but this type of raise from EP after a limper really bothers me. In general you should give more respect to raises after a limper, also the guy is in early position, also they have made a standard raise which committs a large % of their stack. I find that in general, getting involved in situations like this is not +EV. Anyway JJ is my cutoff, Im moving allin with QQ against almost anyone. I might fold to one of these guys who always moves allin with AK-JJ but makes normal raises with the big hands and play super tight and fold everything else. There are a few guys who do this predominantly. For instance if ComeOnPhish was the raiser, there is close to a 0% chance they have AK. Meanwhile ComeonPhish would almost never raise like this with something like 88-99 I believe. There are other regulars for whom this is true.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:02 AM

In summary, Ive very happy with my decision to fold hands like this against certain normal seeming opponents. Im going to need some serious convincing/math to prove me wrong.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:06 AM

When I first saw the hand, I thought that the fold was interesting. I'm not claiming that I would have made the same play, but for the reasons you gave, I had a notion why you did it.

(It probably also helps that my style of play is similar to that which you describe. With that guy's stack size, the only hands (after a limper) that I'm raising less than all-in are AA, KK, QQ.)

Curtains, if the raiser had the same amount of chips as you, you would have called and seen a flop, correct? At least that was my thoughts on this...
Old 12-26-2005, 12:10 AM

Hey 45!! post some more hands Im bored!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If the guy had 2200 chips yeah Id gamble for sure, but Id be very careful if I flopped an overpair. Meaning I would not allow myself to go broke against AA-QQ and play in a manner to make sure of this without risking too many chips.