Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-24-2005, 08:14 PM

Default Re: I get one right?

no, i would bet the turn and checkraise the river
Old 12-24-2005, 11:16 PM

Default River/Results

Here is how the final action came down. My play is obvious but how about the villian's play? I do think that his river curiousity call is pretty common. As Lmn55d stated, these TAGs are overly worried about being outplayed and therefore payoff a lot. With that mentality it may not matter much as I am getting 2 bets from hom either way.

I am wondering how most of us would play his hand here too.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $10.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

Results below:
SB has 9c 9h (full house, twos full of nines).
BB doesn't show.
Hero has Ah 4s (full house, twos full of aces).
Outcome: Hero wins 8.50 BB.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:23 PM

I realize I'm late to the game on this one, but I prefer to fold preflop and I think it's a DEFINITE turn bet since pretty much any pocket pair is calling a turn and river bet and the preflop 3 bet often means a pocket pair.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:11 AM

Default Re: River/Results

[ QUOTE ]
River: (4.50 BB) 8 (3 players)
SB bets, Hero raises, SB calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the difference is that in your line, you got the same number of bets but you gave him a free chance to win, especially since he may have check/called or bet/folded on a card above 9.

I think that anyone who bet/calls the river is also ready to call down the turn and river.

The real question here is if we get 1 by only betting the river often enough from the people who would fold to compensate for the times we get 2 from those who call down.

If the number of people who will give us 2 bets &gt;50% of the people who gives us 1 at the end, then it's better to bet the turn (negating the times we get 2 on the river like this because these people will also call the turn).

Keep in mind that anyone who will give us 2 bets will also give us at least 1 bet on the river 100% of the time. If 1 in 2 players are calling both streets:

If we check the turn and bet the river, we get 1 bet 100% of the time (again, ignoring those that don't ever give us action)

If we bet the turn and river, we get 2 bets 50% of the time.

The EV is neutral, but betting the turn is higher variance. With no evidence to back me up, I'm going to think that &gt;50% of your opponents who will call the river will fold the turn. Kx, yy, and ab that improves on the river will often call the river many of which would fold the turn.

I'd like to think that the times we get a bet/caller on the river are rare enough that we can use this factor to negate the chance someone two outs you.

I like your line.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:06 AM

heh, ever since you made this post people have been doing this to me on abso. see what you've started?~
Old 12-25-2005, 05:00 AM

I'd play it the same as the OP &lt;3