Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 10:12 PM

Default Re: I\'m not good at poker.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hall of Shame

[/ QUOTE ]
brilliant. each shushusush digest should have a hall of shame for worst advice given during the recent period.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think so also.

Hell, I'd be famous!
Old 12-21-2005, 10:55 PM

Lots of good advice in this thread. I'll chime in (and be somewhat repetitive) by encouraging you to respond to hand posts and join in the discussion. You will learn so much more by participating than by lurking.

Sometimes the more experienced posters will post one-liners or near one liners "C/R flop and lead turn" without any elaboration. If you disagree, explain why you prefer an alternative approach, and perhaps guess at why the other poster may have suggested his line so you can address the presumed benefiots of that line to your approach. Sure, you may have totally missed an important consideration regarding the other line or an important defect inherent in your pproach, but by thinking it through well enough to write it out and respond intelligently, you will really start to understand what's going on in the hand much more quickly. And honestly, although it can sometimes be abrasive around here, if you make the effort to point out the relative pluses and minuses of various courses of action (and perhaps sprinkling a few "I believe" or "it seems to me" phrases in your response) you'll almost certainly get a good response from one or more others and not a "idiot" sort of response. All of a sudden . . . hey . . . you're involved in a pretty good discussion with some fellow good poker players.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:28 PM

#1 rule of this site: Ignore the sarcasm and general [censored]. This includes new posters and veteran posters alike (many of the latter have a strange affinity for it, and I'm indicting myself in that). While someone's post count is sometimes a good indicator of their skill level, there are still many bad players with 1000 posts, and many good ones with 100.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:56 AM

I havent seen any of the rude BS on this forum, I think all (most, anyway) are here to improve their game and not to be a d*ck. If anyone posted something like this in BBV, they'd get torn apart.

To address the OP, yes comment on hands, or at least read through all hand posts. If you're scared of posting, write down on a piece of paper what you would do same/different, EVERY DECISION. You need to write it down so that you commit to something, not thinking "you could call or raise here". See what the differences are between your line and the other posters. This should help.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
reply to anything... don't be shy. if someone thinks you're wrong he'll try to correct you, but maybe he's wrong too.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
brilliant. each shushusush digest should have a hall of shame for worst advice given during the recent period.

[/ QUOTE ]
"Yeah, that's right, heh heh, come reply to anything, newbies, we promise not to make fun of you...much..." (rubs hands together, twirls mustache)
Old 12-22-2005, 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Give your thoughts on as many hands as possible. Be sure to do this before reading the other replies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree it's important to think through the hand and come up with a response before you read other people's replies.

However, I don't think it's important to post your response before reading other people's replies. In fact, I feel like threads are better when people read the previous responses before posting their own.

What's more valuable: someone's first reaction to a hand or their analysis after they've thought about all the issues that have been brought up and discussed so far?

It's the difference between a poll and a conversation. One of them is a more accurate picture of people's opinions and the other is a better system for group problem solving.

I agree with everything else you wrote, Scotty.

/mc
Old 12-22-2005, 06:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Give your thoughts on as many hands as possible. Be sure to do this before reading the other replies.

[/ QUOTE ]

FFS, don't say Grunch everytime you do it though.

Mack