Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 08:35 PM

Default Re: PokerRoom 5/10

Yeah, I've been playing the 5-max games and I basically can't sit down at a table without at least one ridiculously loose player. The downside is that there are a lot of LAGs, so it can be tough sometimes, but they're not particularly clever LAGs, and besides, you need to get used to more aggressive play as you move up.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:36 PM

I have been getting my butt kicked with the 5 max. I know it's good when they call down with everything and see too many flops but I couldn't take it anymore. Nor could my bankroll.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:05 PM

I've been playing Eurobet 5/10 lately to clear the bonus but it seems like it's about 9 TAGS and LAGS to one fish per table. However the bonus plus rakeback just may make it worth it.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:29 AM

When I'm actually playing for money (read:no bonus) I'm playing 3/6 6max on Party. I know short handed games are where the money's at right now. But given the nature of PokerRoom's rake and the nature of the bonus, I'm afraid playing those 5max tables will be less profitable overall. For those that don't know, PokerRoom's rake structure is a bit weird. It increases in very small increments, instead of the standard $1 threshold that sites like Party and Stars employ. What this means is more rake for the house, especially in short handed pots. Given that you play more hands in short handed games, and the rake is tougher on PokerRoom's short handed games, you see it's not very attractive. Plus, the Euro $600 bonus requires a certain number of points to accrue, not a certain number of raked hands. That means the bigger the rake per hand, the more points you accrue (and the smaller the rake, the fewer the points). So if you play short handed, you will clear the bonus faster. But you'll also pay a lot more rake. However if you play the full rings, you'll play fewer hands, and will be involved in a smaller percentage of the pots that have a nice sized rake. Hence, I'd rather play on a tightish worse full ring game than a more profitable (and swingier) short handed game - for bonus clearing purposes.

Make sense?

The only upside to all this is that, as someone already mentioned, you'll find players playing higher than they should in order to clear the bonus faster. Of the bonus clearing population on PokerRoom, that's probably where most of the 5/10 profit will be coming from.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:50 AM

i moved all the way from .25/.50 to 10/20 on pokerroom/betonbet and i still play the 5/10 on there sometimes ( bananaphon, what up ). i think the games are half decent there most of the time. but, to put it in perspective, i have a 50,000 hand sample of 5/10 on betonbet making .50bb/100 and on my next 50,000 on party i made like 1.85bb/100. granted i learned a ton during that time period but yeah the games aren't spectacular. i have played some 5/10 5 max on there too but it was prior to me figuring out how to get pokerace to work on there so i can't really say much about the players on there except that they suck.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:36 PM

The kind of playing style that works well multi-tabling on Party just doesn't work as well on PR and skins. PR and skins 3/6 and 5/10 FR LHE have been a cash cow for me especially with all the new players from all the new skins and the Eurobet migration. Most of the the would be TAGs I come across are really just weak passive players who don't pay enough attention to what's going on. The ones I have trouble with I simply avoid. Table selection is key and I find it a lot easier to do so from the lobby seeing flop %, pot size, and relying on all the pretty little colored dots I assign to players based on their playing styles.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:04 PM

I've been 4-tabling 1/2 on PokerRoom and have found lately that it's overall pretty tight. A ton of my EP and MP raises to open have garnered me the blinds a lot more than I expected.

Maybe there are just tons of bonus whores hanging around now trying to play super tight and clear some bonus. Then again, I might be a really crappy limit player. I've been playing SNGs for over a year and didn't touch limit for the past 3 or 4 months.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:00 PM

well, i've been 3tabling PR 3/6 full ring nonstop the past few days, with the occasional smattering of 2/4 due to the lack of decent 3/6 games during the day. i have to say, i've never seen so many tight players who play so horribly postflop. it's a weird kind of game, much like the x-skins these days with all kinds of misapplied aggression. still profitable, but takes a bit more thinking. i won't miss it.. can't wait to get back to party once this friggin bonus is cleared. i seem to be clearing 700 points every 4 hours. that means it'll take roughly 30 hours to clear a $600 bonus. $20/hr, not bad!

oddly enough, the 5/10 games seem looser than the 3/6. but the bonus is clearing fast enough that i don't need to mess with 5/10 like i thought i would.