Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 11:27 AM

Default 25-50 -- 4 bet the turn?

Game is 4-handed. Villain is a little loose and seems like the type who plays by "feel". He probably is breakeven at best in this game, but he can make money when he is running good against aggros because he calls a lot of bets. He is an affable fellow and we have been chatting. He views me as aggressive and good, but not reckless (or so he says). I don't know how much it matters, but Villain was stuck early in the session after getting sucked out on a couple of times, but now has $7500. I cover by a pretty big margin, as I have been running very good. I haven't been the one sucking out on him.

Preflop

I make it $175 to go with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB folds, Villain calls in the BB.

Flop

2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Villain bets $300. I call.

Turn

8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villain bets $550. I minraise to $1100. He has never seen me minraise in this game, or any other game, because I almost never do it. Villain makes it $3100 to go. I push.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Re: 25-50 -- 4 bet the turn?

I think you should've raised the flop to about 1200 to get a better idea of where you are in the hand.

As played, it looks to me like you are beat. I think your flop call, and turn raise shows a lot of strength, even if it was a miniraise. Once he 3-bets to $3100, I think I'd fold, unless he is very reckless. I think its hard to put him on a hand, but he could have a set. If he has 99-KK, once you raise turn, he would just call. I just can't really see you being ahead here, especially if he views you as pretty solid.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should've raised the flop to about 1200 to get a better idea of where you are in the hand.

As played, it looks to me like you are beat. I think your flop call, and turn raise shows a lot of strength, even if it was a miniraise. Once he 3-bets to $3100, I think I'd fold, unless he is very reckless. I think its hard to put him on a hand, but he could have a set. If he has 99-KK, once you raise turn, he would just call. I just can't really see you being ahead here, especially if he views you as pretty solid.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's beating all overpairs and draws.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's beating all overpairs and draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think an overpair or draw would 3-bet in this spot. I think hero's flop call and turn raise look pretty strong.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What conclusions am I supposed to draw if he flat calls my flop raise, which he certainly could do with a hand like QQ, a set or a flopped straight? I don't see how this would help me at all.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:50 PM

what reason can you have for minraising thwe turn? maybe provide that a little...

i hate the minraise, i think it looks weak, and looks like the type of "i want a free showdown" thing, which is great when you have a monster v an aggro villain, but in this spot it is tough to say whether villain thinks he is best with an overpair or thinks he is best with a set... i think if you raise the turn larger, he gets more passive on you with anything you beat and you will have a much better idea of where you are in the hand. the action looks like you are beat here but like i said with th eminraise it is really hard to tell. i like that move much better v passive players or v overaggro players with a monster.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what reason can you have for minraising thwe turn? maybe provide that a little...

[/ QUOTE ]

Duck,

I agree that the minraise looks weak, and I wanted Villain to see it as weak too. I really thought that I was ahead here and I didn't mind getting it all in (obviously).
Old 12-21-2005, 03:27 PM

i like all of it.
that is all.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:18 PM

A4s, ship it.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i like all of it.
that is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

You also got knocked out of the MH HU invitational tourney in the first round.