Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 12:30 AM

Default Re: Jazz recommendations???

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hank Mobley: the album title skips my mind right now, but the one with the song: This I Dig of you

[/ QUOTE ]

soul station!

[/ QUOTE ]

I deserve to be slapped for forgetting that one
Old 12-19-2005, 12:32 AM

I spent about a week trying to get into jazz and see if I liked it or not before I got occupied with other junk and haven't got back around to it yet so take this FWIW...

Give Oh Yeah by Charles Mingus a shot, see what happens. I liked it better than Mingus Ah Um.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I want some real jazz recommendations, no Kenny G ish, but I want it to be pretty chill, just some mood music, nothing to distract me from concentrating on the game. Another words, trying to stay away from bebop and free jazz.

Some names besides Coltrane, Davis, Dave Brubeck, Paul Desmond, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, just to give you an idea of the type of vibe I am into.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've given my jazz backgroun schpiel several times already, so I'm not gonna trot it out again. Okay onto the recomendations

Chick Corea: now he sings, now he sobs

McCoy Tyner: the real McCoy

Freddie Hubbard: Ready for Freddie, Red Clay

Joe Henderson: any

Stan Getz: sweet rain, focus, serenity, people time

Miles Davis: Miles In the Sky( a real gem of his)

Sonny Rollins: Saxophone Collosus, Freedom Suite, Sound of Sonny

Grant Green: Idle Moments

Larry Young: Unity

Hank Mobley: the album title skips my mind right now, but the one with the song: This I Dig of you

[/ QUOTE ]

As the resident OOT jazz expert, what do you think of Friday Night In San Francisco?
Old 12-19-2005, 02:31 AM

coleman hawkins
Old 12-19-2005, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I want some real jazz recommendations, no Kenny G ish, but I want it to be pretty chill, just some mood music, nothing to distract me from concentrating on the game. Another words, trying to stay away from bebop and free jazz.

Some names besides Coltrane, Davis, Dave Brubeck, Paul Desmond, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, just to give you an idea of the type of vibe I am into.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've given my jazz backgroun schpiel several times already, so I'm not gonna trot it out again. Okay onto the recomendations

Chick Corea: now he sings, now he sobs

McCoy Tyner: the real McCoy

Freddie Hubbard: Ready for Freddie, Red Clay

Joe Henderson: any

Stan Getz: sweet rain, focus, serenity, people time

Miles Davis: Miles In the Sky( a real gem of his)

Sonny Rollins: Saxophone Collosus, Freedom Suite, Sound of Sonny

Grant Green: Idle Moments

Larry Young: Unity

[/ QUOTE ]

As the resident OOT jazz expert, what do you think of Friday Night In San Francisco?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a big fan. I'd be willing to give you a run at the resident OOT jazz expert title [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. I'm more of a hard bop expert and definetly sax expert as that is my instrument that I studied on
Old 12-19-2005, 02:54 AM

I believe he was saying that you are the resident OOT jazz expert. Also what about Django Reinhart(sp?) he is probably my favorite jazz musician.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:07 AM

Joshua Redman is an excellent (if traditional) saxaphonist. I can't believe no one has mentioned Miles Davis - Kind of Blue yet either.

-SmileyEH
Old 12-19-2005, 03:14 AM

O, well, alcohol can have that effect on things. I like Django, but my taste is more in the mid 50s to late 60s era of jazz. Of course, Django set the standard along with charlie christian for how the jazz guitar got played.

You really should check out Wes Montgomery and Jim Hall. I like John Abercrombie a bit too, but he doesn't play with a jazz tone all that often. If you give me some time, I can come up with some good guitarists, there is are some really good modern guitarists playing right now
Old 12-19-2005, 03:31 AM

I'm a jazz saxophone player now currently studying in college. I can't sit by and watch this discussion of guitar players go on without putting in a good word for Pat Metheny and Mike Stern. In particular, Metheny's 80/81, or The Way Up. Stern is really more of an 80s fusion guitarist, but he's also a great composer with a lot of good things to say musically.

As far as saxophones are concerned, Michael Brecker, Joshua Redman, and Chris Potter are some of the more ambitious modern players. As far as older school players, Hank Mobley is a great bebop tenor saxophonist, as is Johnny Griffin. There's always Coltrane, too.

I could go on and on, but I won't. Pat Metheny, Mike Stern, and Chris Potter.

Edit: Regarding Jim Hall. One word - The Bridge. He and Sonny Rollins are amazing, and it's a classic album. Definitely worth a listen or 300.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:39 AM

KDawg,

Wes Montgomery is excellent, never heard any Jim Hall. I studied jazz guitar for about three years during high school but stopped when I went to college. I listened to Django, Montgomery and Charlie Christian along with others I've forgotten about.

Roland,

Good call on Pat Metheny, forgot about him.