Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-18-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Not being able to STAY asleep

I know trouble sleeping had been discussed before, but it's usually about falling asleep. I rarely have any trouble falling asleep, just staying that way.

Over the last week or so, I've just been randomly waking up every night after only about four hours. It's been like clockwork, and then it's hard to get back to sleep. I've never had this problem before. In fact, if anything I usually oversleep, and I sleep very heavily. It takes a lot to wake me up.

This is starting to get really annoying as four hours is clearly not enough sleep and I feel groggy and tired during the day.

Anyone experience anything similar? I thought it might be a fluke, but it keeps happening every night after 21 years of good sleeping every night...Is there something wrong with me?

Thanks.

Craig
Old 12-18-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Not being able to STAY asleep

yeah I've had this trouble before, earlier this fall, but I've also had mild sleep issues in general anyway. I'd go to sleep at 1, wake up at 5, lie in bed for a few hours, eventually go back to sleep. this was also when I was running 50 miles a week. in general I think this happens when you're stressed out. exercise might help, even though it didn't happen in my case. you could try to get medication, but it can make you just as groggy. generally I wouldn't worry about it too much, because you won't get to sleep if you try too hard.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:22 PM

+

= COMATOSE sleep
Old 12-18-2005, 12:47 PM

Do you get much caffeine? I find that sometimes I build up to such a high level that even a little will tip me over the edge, and it will take days and days for me to be able to sleep right again.

Boozing screws up your sleep too.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:06 PM

If you smoke/consume caffeine a few hours before going to sleep it will [censored] up your schedule.

If you take a nap during the day this can mess it up too.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in general I think this happens when you're stressed out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did have finals this week and was stressed; although it happened last night and I was done. Maybe just the leftover stress?

[ QUOTE ]
exercise might help, even though it didn't happen in my case.

[/ QUOTE ]

I exercise regularly anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
you could try to get medication, but it can make you just as groggy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did try Tylenol PM one night which put me out, but I woke up 4hours later feeling very groggy and couldn't get back to sleep.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:43 PM

Almost all sleep medications will get you to sleep, few will keep you asleep, and the rebound effect may contribute even further difficulties to your present situation. Alcohol especially--as your body breaks it down, a lot of people find themselves waking up.

I also have your problem, and it intersects unhappily with my major difficulties getting to sleep in the first place. After over ten years of various regimes, various sleeping medications, many moves, job changes, etc. I can offer you no solution.

Certainly the situation is greatly exacerbated by stress--I wake up most frequently, and sleep most fitfully, when my mind is "racing," and in the past that has almost always occured for work and/or school related reasons.

Good luck.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you get much caffeine? I find that sometimes I build up to such a high level that even a little will tip me over the edge, and it will take days and days for me to be able to sleep right again.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might be on to something w/this one. I have a pretty high tolerence though. I can drink a cup of coffee and go right to bed usually. However, I have had way way more than usual this last week. Studying at Panera = lots of free refills.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:45 PM

My dad has had this exact same problem for quite a while. He has taken various sleepin medications, both prescription and non. None really help him stay asleep. Im goin to visit him starting Tuesday so I will see if he found anything that worked.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Certainly the situation is greatly exacerbated by stress--I wake up most frequently, and sleep most fitfully, when my mind is "racing," and in the past that has almost always occured for work and/or school related reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it's probably stress; my mind has been racing. It's just weird because I've never had this problem.