Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-16-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: How easy is it to catch mono?

I thought I had mono for a whole year once, turns out I was just really bored.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:19 PM

Apparently I can't catch it. This girl I was hooking up 2 yrs ago suddenly told me she had just come down with mono. A week later we were still hooking up and I was fine.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:42 PM

When I had mono the doc. told me that it's far, far, less likely to be transferred from the body once someone has it. Basically, don't worry about it at all.

I had it for basically 3 total weeks and made out with my gf regularly and she didn't get it.

Got mine in 3rd year of college. Went from 161 to 147 on a 6'0" frame in 10 days. Looked skeletal.

Had HORRIFIC recurring nightmares every night for over 2 weeks, and horrid lower backpains and headaches. MONO BLOWS. It doesn't PWN at ALL.

Be nice to your sister, she's probably going through hell right now. And doctors say it can last much longer than 3 weeks. It's random.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently I can't catch it. This girl I was hooking up 2 yrs ago suddenly told me she had just come down with mono. A week later we were still hooking up and I was fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could actually be infected with the virus and not know it. My ex girlfriend got really bad mono and a few months later I developed a persistant head ached and ended up going to the doctor. They did some blood work and found that I had mono. But I never really got sick at all. My girlfriend was almost hospitalized with it and all that happened to me was I got a headache. So, its quite possible that you have the virus, but not the mono.

Also, my doctor told me that once you get the virus, it always stays with you (though you may never get mono again) and you will go through periods where you can infect people for the rest of your life.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:03 PM

Docs told me I had a really severe and unusual form of it, and I was out of commission for almost a year. Even if it's not that contagious, it's like Russian roulette -- the stakes are too high even though the odds look pretty decent. So be extra careful.