Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 01:43 PM

Default QQ hand 5-handed

Couple of questions here, but first some background. Hero is new to short handed play. Villian in this hand is viewed as aggressive, but I don't know if aggressive = LAG fishy in this scenario. Hero certainly views villian as pushing weaker hands.

The hand: Poker Stars $1/$2 blinds. One limper to hero with Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero raises to $6. Villain raises to $16 on the button. Blinds fold, limper folds. Hero raises to $32. Villian calls the additional $16.

(first question here. What do we think about the hero's 3rd raise OOP? Good against an aggressive opponent?)

Flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($66 in pot approx)

Hero bets $22. Villian calls $22.

(thoughts on the flop bet?)

Turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (Pot: $104 approx)

Hero checks, villian bets $22, Hero raises to $64, villain raises to $142 and has hero covered all-in....

Thoughts on the turn play?
Old 12-15-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Re: QQ hand 5-handed

dont minraise pf.. if youre gonna 3bet, make it real - 40-45.

i'd prefer a 2/3 flop bet.

river we're gonna be pushing because the Qc brought on 2 scary draws.

what is teh effective stack size here?
Old 12-15-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dont minraise pf.. if youre gonna 3bet, make it real - 40-45.

i'd prefer a 2/3 flop bet.

river we're gonna be pushing because the Qc brought on 2 scary draws.

what is teh effective stack size here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero started the hand with about $180. Villian has him covered, but not by much.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:05 PM

Badly played on all streets. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] It's all good, we are here to learn. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Preflop: Raise to about $10 preflop, and more if you expect callers. You want to build big pots in position with your strong hands. Once button raises, either call or raise to about $50. Make him put in a large chunk of his stack in preflop if he wants to outdraw you. If he's uber tight, I might call to conceal my hand, but given your read, repop him to $50.

Flop: Make a bigger bet, about 2/3 the pot. The board is very coordinated, and you don't want AK hearts or KQ to see a cheap turn. Somehow get your stack in the middle on the turn. Bet/3-bet or check/raise allin. Hope he has TT-JJ and not AK.

Edit: KK and AA may fold to a check/raise, so I like leading the turn better.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Couple of questions here, but first some background. Hero is new to short handed play. Villian in this hand is viewed as aggressive, but I don't know if aggressive = LAG fishy in this scenario. Hero certainly views villian as pushing weaker hands.

The hand: Poker Stars $1/$2 blinds. One limper to hero with Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero raises to $6. Villain raises to $16 on the button. Blinds fold, limper folds. Hero raises to $32. Villian calls the additional $16.

(first question here. What do we think about the hero's 3rd raise OOP? Good against an aggressive opponent?)

Flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($66 in pot approx)

Hero bets $22. Villian calls $22.

(thoughts on the flop bet?)

Turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (Pot: $104 approx)

Hero checks, villian bets $22, Hero raises to $64, villain raises to $142 and has hero covered all-in....

Thoughts on the turn play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I flat call the preflop reraise. $45 on the flop, shove it in on the turn.

As played, I think that the turn raise is incredibly weak, giving villian odds to a flush draw, though I think he's got AK or a set of his own (hopefully!) anyway. Even if he's got AK, you've got a big redraw on the river. I check-raise all in on this turn.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:11 PM

I don't like the PF 3-bet much, I'd rather just call then have the option of donking the flop if it looks especially bad or especially good. Given that Hero did 3-bet, it needs to be bigger. Hero doesn't have AA.

Flop bet is too small, unless it was intended to induce a bluff raise from AK. If it wasn't intended to induce, I'll bet 50-66. The flop is coordinated enough for me to want incorrect calls.

Turn is a bit too fancy for my liking, but it did seem to work in this case. If Hero knew it would work here, then OK. But if this is a kind of standard line against Joe-LAG, then I'd much prefer to lead for 1/2-2/3 pot, and hope the LAG raises or at least calls.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:46 PM

Preflop: Raise more, dont baby raise reraise, thats just bad.

Flop: Lead this flop for more.

Turn: villain's AK just got there. I would have led bigger on the flop and gotten the rest in, but as played, dont c/r, either lead of c/c.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:04 PM

I think that some of the criticism of this hand is a lil ridiculous, and seemingly "assumed" results-oriented.

You should prolly raise to 8ish p/f but really you should just raise your standard amount every time there's a limper. So if that amount is 6, then fine.

If Villian is aggressive, then the 3 bet preflop is a good idea, but make it bigger if you wanna take away his implied odds.

The Flop: Betting 1/3 of the flop isn't a great idea...in any form of poker (you said you're knew to short-handed, but you shouldn't do this anyways). So, just bet more next time.

The Turn: Your play is good. I like it. You're ahead of pretty much everything in Villian's range--AA,KK,JJ,TJ,88, flush draw.

Your play is pretty good in his hand, just need to pick better betting amounts, which is really easy to fix.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:10 PM

i disagree with liking the c-r on the turn.

too many cards out there to risk giving a free one.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:43 PM

I don't see any reason to raise the turn. He's representing a straight, and everything about his betting indicates that he has it. If he were bluffing, why did just call the flop? At that point, the pot was big enough to take down.

As it stands, you put yourself in a position to make a zero sum bet, as you're getting approx. 4 to 1 pot odds to draw the 10 out, 4 to 1 full house, quad draw.