Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 12-13-2005, 12:44 AM

Default Can I save my computer with a reinstallation of windows?

My computer has really been slowing down lately with nasty spyware and viruses that keep reappearing. I've been fighting a losing battle against them in the recent weeks and I am looking for another answer. Will starting fresh with a reboot/reinstallation of windows XP fix this stuff? Any other suggestions would be helpful! Thanks!
Old 12-13-2005, 03:01 AM

Default Re: Can I save my computer with a reinstallation of windows?

Well first, run spybot and also download microsoft anti spyware which I think is better than spybot.

MS anti spyware

Sometimes though a fresh install will fix everything. And I'm talking deleting your entire windows directory. You will have to boot off the cd, get to your c: drive then kill your entire C:\windows directory. No need to format the entire drive.

The reason is the anti-spyware will kill the program, but if its a good .vbs script it probably has a deal to reinstall the spyware everytime you boot your machine.

So try option 1, if that doesnt work, copy all essential stuff to a cdr then reinstall.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:28 PM

Also try Windows Live Safety Center. It can, and maybe should, be run in Safe Mode (with Networking).
Old 12-14-2005, 06:22 PM

I've found that Webroot's SpySweeper is the best SpyWare remover/shielder. It's free for like 15 days..

Also, it may be a virus, you never know. Unless you already have a AV software with the latest definition files already running, get AVAST (free and very good).

SamJack