Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 01:17 AM

Default Re: Guy tells me that he\'s going to call with any 2

I don't usually post, just lurk around, but this thread caught my eye and I felt I had to respond. I was playing a turbo on Stars today and had the same situation. Everytime I was in the BB this one guy kept pushing into me...we were near the bubble and I was second in chips and had him covered. Everytime he did this I had absolute junk and really couldn't make a stand. So, I told him in chat "You better have a hand next time because I am calling with any 2" To me this is part of the psychological aspect of poker, and was +EV in my mind to put even a little fear in him. As far as the part the OP wrote about looking like an idiot, I really do not agree. If I chicken out and don't do it.....so what! Do I really need to worry about what 5 guys in an online poker room think about me? I'm there to make money, if they think I'm an idiot...so be it. Well...the guy pushes into me the very next time it is folded to him on the button....and as I said I called...except I had A9, he had J9..gg him. After reading the OP's post...I thought I might have been the one he was talking about...but when he said he was pushing good hands I guess this was a different sng.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I chicken out and don't do it.....so what! Do I really need to worry about what 5 guys in an online poker room think about me?

[/ QUOTE ]
I used a poor choice of words when I said he would look like an idiot. That isn't really what I meant. I meant that my read on this guy was that he valued his pride more than making +EV moves. In other words, my read was that he was stubborn. Could I have been wrong? Of course. He might have been like you. But I think it's interesting to see what the average $22-$33er is thinking when he makes this threat. In my case, it happened to be johnnybeef, but in most cases it will just be some random goof.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My read on this guy was that he valued his pride more than making +EV moves. It happened to be johnnybeef.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you, a trained FBI profiler?
Spot.
On.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:51 AM

I think that 90% of the time that you are right. It is probably more of a pride issue in the average 22-33 players mind when they make this threat, and they probably will follow through. Most of them likely do not even know what EV is. I just find using table talk like this is another tool to use. As you can see, despite my speech to this guy, he proceeded to keep doing what he was doing. Did my speech make him want to bust me out and shut me up? Maybe....I hope so. I would imagine that this tactic works better on players that actually think, and aren't there to basically gamble. To your credit, you actually thought about lowering your pushing range, I doubt the villian in my situation even considered that. This reminds me of several times when I would start pushbotting with decent holdings in position or on the bubble and people would start calling me with less than stellar holdings for all their chips so close to the money. I would often inquire as to why they made the call...and I would get the old response "10 dollar tourney, 20 dollar tourney" so I can definately see why you would find this threat credible. Except this time....the villan was not your average $22 goof.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:32 AM

I can't believe how long this thread is it's so ridiculous.