Old 12-10-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on the World Cup Draw

Since no one else will say it, I will.

USA is winning their group.

USA USA USA USA USA USA
Old 12-11-2005, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If only the US had played some more competetive friendlies in the past few years...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree and hopefully we'll see some positive results from the scheduled friendlies leading up to WC 2006. While Canada shouldn't be a tough game, matches against Norway and Japan should provide good test, both from the level of play as well as the differeing styles of play.

Leading up to WC '02, the US matched up against (at)South Korea, (at)Germany, Holland, Ireland, and Uraguay. Maybe (hopefully) the USSF will add some additional friendlies to the slate in preparation for this tough Group.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:23 AM

The Spanish are obviously pretty happy. Here's the Marca, the biggest sports newspaper based in Madrid, from yesterday:

Chupao is a slang term for easy.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:01 AM

well, it also goes for between world cups. We need to play more friendlies against decent nations, but unfortunetly this group will also negatively effect possible seeding in 2010. If we can get out of this group, and start playing more competetive matches overall, we should be able to be seeded in the next WC. We also will need to play in a Copa America as that is a very competetive tourny and we should be able to do well in it
Old 12-11-2005, 06:29 PM

Italy can be beat too, but, it won't be easy. The US will have to make the most of their chances, and that will be hard considering that Buffon is arguably the best keeper in the World. Italy's front line though will have a hard time. Pippo has been overrated for a long time, Del Piero has never regained his amazing form pre-injury, Cassano isn't consistent, and Vieri has been showing his age in recent years. The key again will be whether or not the US will be willing to play ugly and put the boot to the italian midfielders. We will probably have to play a defensive 3-5-2 or a defensive 4-4-2.

KDawg

You're not really mister current affairs when it comes to the azzurri. Vieri, Del Piero, Inzaghi and Cassano are not givens to make Italy's 23 man squad. Lippi will go to the World Cup with a fresh young striking pair of Luca Toni and Alberto Gilardino. Toni is runaway leading scorer in Seria A and both men have shown the ability to hit the back of the net for the national team.

Given Totti is a certainty if Italy name 5 - 6 forwards one or two of mentioned players will miss out.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:43 PM

If Korea/Japan taught us anything its make predictions at your own peril.

Some of the seeds will probably fall at the first hurdle and some teams will surprise.

Statements like Ghana going winless and Ivory Coast is the weakest team in group C all sound fair and well but don't be surprised when these teams force you to eat those words.

I've seen Ivory Coast play and they will be no push over in that difficult group.

But if we are going to make bold predictions heres mine.

Hand the trophy to Brazil now.

It's actually embarrising the amount of excellence they have in this team.

This is the best Brazilian team since '82(I know they didn't win in '82, my point is its there's to lose and not someone elses to win) and in Ronaldinihio they have what I believe to be the best player I've seen since Maradona, he is very capable of doing what Diego did in '86.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in Ronaldinihio they have what I believe to be the best player I've seen since Maradona, he is very capable of doing what Diego did in '86.

[/ QUOTE ]

What, cheat?

Just messing around, he is amazing.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since no one else will say it, I will.

USA is winning their group.

USA USA USA USA USA USA

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-11-2005, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

KDawg

You're not really mister current affairs when it comes to the azzurri. Vieri, Del Piero, Inzaghi and Cassano are not givens to make Italy's 23 man squad. Lippi will go to the World Cup with a fresh young striking pair of Luca Toni and Alberto Gilardino. Toni is runaway leading scorer in Seria A and both men have shown the ability to hit the back of the net for the national team.

Given Totti is a certainty if Italy name 5 - 6 forwards one or two of mentioned players will miss out.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I realized this. I don't really follow Italy that much, and I forgot about Luca Toni, and I didn't realize that Gilardino was tearing it up real bit

actually, one name that everyone should remember as I think that he is gonna flat out explode is Argentina's Lionel Messi. I saw him at teh U-20s WC last year, and he was playing at a sickingly higher level then anyone else on the field. He has also been tearing it up for Barca this year