Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 10:35 PM

Default Discussions on folding KK pre-flop

After considerable of discussion, some of the other mods and I have decided that the question of whether or not to fold KK pre-flop is one which has been discussed far too often and has created little debate in this forum. For that reason, I will lock any threads whose primary question is "Should I fold KK pre-flop."

In Small stakes online games, two things are generally true. First, stacks are generally fairly short; rarely will the stacks of both players involved in a hand exceed 150BB. Second, players tend to overvalue their hands.

Now, in the thread which was stickied earlier by Grunch, he stated that some well-known players have said that "The fourth raise is always Aces." This may be true when stacks exceed 300BB, but in the fairly short online small stakes games, it is almost impossible to fit in four raises before the flop, unless there is a succession of min-raises, which I hope no player from this board ever gets involved in.

Secondly, small stakes players tend to overvalue their hands. While against better competition, a 3rd or 4th raise could only be construed to mean KK or AA, typical small stakes players will very frequently put in large reraises with QQ/JJ/AK and sometimes worse.

I would also like to add a comment which theblitz included in his response to the original sticky:

[ QUOTE ]
Since I was one of the guilty parties I think I will add the following simple check.

I executed the following SQL command on my PT database: [ QUOTE ]
select count(*)
from
(select game_id from game_players where player_id = 72 and hole_cards = 'KK') g1,
(select game_id from game_players where hole_cards = 'AA') g2
where g1.game_Id = g2.game_id

[/ QUOTE ] This tells me how many times my KK has come up against AA.

For a total of 405 KK (that I got from PT) I have come up against AA only 9 (yes, NINE) times.

I think that finally kills off the "should I fold" threads.

New Year Resolution: I am not posting any more of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

As you can see, there certainly are situations in which your KK will run into an opponent's AA. However, the situations are so rare that it really is not worth it to have a discussion about it.

As I mentioned before, I will from now on lock any threads for which the main concern is whether or not the poster should fold KK pre-flop, unless the stacks are incredibly deep or he has a history with and great read on his opponent.

If you are interested in some discussions on this topic, -Skeme- has already gone over this situation in the FAQ, and included links to interesting threads here, here, and here.
Closed Thread