Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 11:28 AM

Default Variant on the common situation thread.

A slight twist on the previous thread to eliminate the decision on whether to fold third.

Lets say you complete the BI with 7 Q Q. You get called by a king and you end up heads up. You have a concern he smooth called the kings. On fourth you catch a 7 and villain bets into you. What do you do on fourth and on subsequent streets if villain's board shows no improvement?

How about when you catch your seven on fifth or sixth. What do you do then? In both cases, villain's board shows no improvement.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Variant on the common situation thread.

i would probably raise right away when I caught the 2nd pair on 4th . you almost always have the best hand and want to make him think twice. I think there is a better chance to get him to lay down his hand if you raise 4th/bet out 5th than if you wait and raise 5th. by then there is enough money in the pot that a lot of people will just call it down, after the almost automatic call of the 5th st raise that most will do.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:20 PM

This is an interesting question and should be discussed in depth here. I am not sure what I think yet.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is an interesting question and should be discussed in depth here. I am not sure what I think yet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-09-2005, 04:02 PM

In the case of catching 2 pair on 4th against a likely higher pair to start, in general it is usually best to let him do the betting, wait until 6th and raise him if he has not paired or flushed on board. If you are up against an opponent that might not bet on th with just the one pair, then do the raise on 5th.

If you catch your second pair on 5th, you can either raise right there or wait till 6th, again not doing the raise if he has paired or flushed. And the same applies to catching the seond pair on 6th, in which case you will raise him if he hasn't paired or flushed.

If during any of the above sequence, you wind up having to bet first due to a higher up card, then either bet outright or try for check raise, depending upon whether you think he will continue to bet even though you caught the overcard to his pair.

On river, probably come out betting if he checks it to you. If he comes out betting on river, you still gotta call him. If he has a pair on board and you didn't fill up on river, then you will need to consider folding.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:30 PM

Call fourth, raise fifth.