Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 12-01-2005, 05:37 PM

Default Windows OneCare

Anyone try this yet?
thoughts?

Windows OneCare
Old 12-02-2005, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Windows OneCare

TRIP REPORT:

I fired up a new VM (read: virtual desktop) session last night with a clean XP install and went about setting up the new One Care.

For those familiar with enterprise level maintence, OneCare is looking to become the WSUS of home users.

Four of their core features:
1)Antivirus
2)system tune-up (the wsus part)
3)backup & recover
4)firewall

once you have installed the product you must reboot, upon your reboot you are asked if you want to TUNEUP the box. A first time tuneup consists of everything from a disk DEFRAG and a virus chk. You can also setup BACKUPS but it will only support ext hard drives at the moment (on a side note i would hope network backups will be allowed).

The one part i thought i would hate would be the new security features towards the MS Firewall product. I personally am in no need of this as im being protected by a corporate fw locked down tighter then a virgin [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] but who doesnt need more protection right?

To get back on track, the FW seems to be smart and understanding. It has to learn so when you start programs that hit sites on the net it will prompt you to "block" or "allow" Partypoker was allowed throught however Interpoker it had to learn.

Another great feature is their TuneUp app. Tuneup will hit MS Update page and see what you need, what you are missing, whats a must....very handy.

Haven't really dug deep but so far i like what i see...What i dont like is that this will become a PAY product instead of something that is "attached" to XP or Vista in the future with the ability to "remove it cleanly"

I'll report back if i find anything else interesting to share about the OneCare product