Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Re: BAD Board, BAD Position, GREAT Hand...HELP!!!

I would min-raise or to 6000. I would be surprised the SB has the flush, maybe 2 pairs or top-pair or likely a combo. By min-raising, the flush shouldn't call and if they do, you can go all-in on the turn giving them a second chance to fold if they don't hit. Also, if an Ace comes, they will stick to it and you will win more. By min-raising, you will get called at least by the SB and it will be easy on the turn or river to extract more money (don';t push and make him fold).

What about the results?
Old 11-28-2005, 06:02 PM

I don't care about pairing the board at all, it just makes my hand better because trips don't fold. If he hit a 4 outer he wasn't folding anyway, so why does it matter? A 4 or an 8 depend on the situation (I might shut down on exactly a 4, but not on an 8.) If a club hits and I wound up getting two overcalls behind me, I check (the SB's gonna autocheck) and play poker.

The point is to extract as many chips from the SB, the guys behind me are a nice bonus.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:00 PM

Thanks adanthar, as I said, given me a lot to think about and to reevaluate how I play in certain situations. I know it's not about taking down pots, it's about taking down as much as possible when you do get involved....appreciate the time!

[ QUOTE ]
What about the results?

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it really matter [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]....but hell, I'm always curious about the outcome when I read these type of posts too, so what the hell?!

Flop: (t2500) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t2400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t7200</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls t7200, SB calls t4800.

Turn: (t24100) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t6200 (All-In)</font>, MP2 folds, SB calls t6200.

River: (t36500) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t36500

Results below:
SB has 7d 7h (full house, sevens full of sixes).
Hero has 4d 3d (straight, seven high).
Outcome: SB wins t36500.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread is an example of how playing what people on 2+2 think of as TAG can sometimes be counterproductive.

You have a monster that is vulnerable but not horribly so. A hand like A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is never folding to a push in a 3r anyway, so you're not worried about *all* flush draws (they are coming along regardless), just some of them. A 3 will kill your action but isn't bad otherwise, and no 2 pair is folding now either so a card that pairs the board is a non-issue. Only an 8 or a 4 really hurts you.

Your goal is now to get chips into the pot. I don't mind one or both people behind overcalling - if they have draws, they only have one card to see, anyway, because I'll shut them out on the next street, and in a 3r it's just as likely that they will overcall with AJo if you let them. But more importantly, pushing now might lose the SB, who's likely to be betting a lone 7. I don't see why you guys have this obsession with making sure you take down a 5K pot when (given their ranges and the likelihood of being best on the turn) you have an &gt; 80% chance of getting 10K or the full 20K one street from now, instead.

As to my actual play, depending on the reads I have, it would be between calling or possibly minraising.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is great advice. All too often we trout condition ourselves to use a machete when a scalpel will yield a better result.