Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Calling all value bettors

Villain was new to me. Do you bet out on the river here?

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (1.90 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls

5th Street - (2.45 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls

6th Street - (5.45 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___folds

River - (7.45 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___not telling
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Old 11-26-2005, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Calling all value bettors

If you think he won’t raise you with a flush or a boat, you should bet.
If you think he will, you should check-call.
At least that’s what I’d do.

But you really should have folded 5th and not gotten yourself into this situation.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

5th Street - (2.45 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this standard for you?

edit: I see roland beat me to the punch.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this an argument for betting and folding to a raise?
Old 11-26-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this an argument for betting and folding to a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. That would be way to risky.
And actually, forget about the “betting out if he’s passive” part. The advantage would be that you get a bet in if he happens to be to passive/scared to bet Jacks or Queens up after you check. But these hands are very unlikely, so it’s not worth the risk of getting raised.
What it boils down to is that a) trip tens will be beat very often and b) his opponent will almost certainly bet trip 8s (which happens to be his most likely hand).
Thus he should check-call.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:16 PM

4th:Thought about a raise to lose #7,but since he is the forced bring-in,he will likely leave on 4th or 5th naturally ,so maybe it's not needed.Besides, it can't buy a free card on 5th,since you will be high on the board if #7 folds.
5th:Fold.With only 3 1/2 BB's in the pot,it's not worth chasing.
7th:I can't see the value in a bet.He's not likely to call without a flush or to fold if he has one.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:03 PM

First, I might have raised on third. You have the strt draw and overcards to the board(1 jack dead). You may have gained some info from this later on about the 1 seat.

5th strt can only be a fold. You have nothing. If he has a flush you are basically drawing dead. if he has a pair of 8's maybe you're a slight favorite. I see no reason to continue here.

On river, be thankful that you caught a good card, basically as good as catching the strt. check and call and hope. Value bet? He has a strong looking board. I would not tangle with that. But you are not gonna fold your trips if he bets.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:57 PM

I misread the hands on the river earlier(half asleep).Sorry about that.The value bet on the river is best,for stated reasons,imo.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:03 PM

If you're justified in calling on 5th street (meaning the opponent isn't likely to have a flush), then value betting the river makes sense, but I don't think you're justified in calling on 5th street.

I would consider raising 3rd street, but this is a matter of personal preference. 4th, I think raising for a free card on 5th street isn't a bad play here. 5th seems like a definite fold.