Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 02:42 AM

Default Re: For fellow non-christians: thoughts on christmas/winter solstice?

Maybe its Santa Claus' birthday...
Old 11-10-2005, 03:37 AM

What was the thing inside him, that Jesus acted from, what does the Bible, in general, point to? Just because some Christians take everything in the Bible literally, which makes them seem weird, doesn't mean that the entire Bible is bogus. I'm not religious but I can see that that there is a common theme in religions that points to something that is the opposite of crazy.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:01 AM

The South Park Christmas special does this topic quite well.

The meaning of Christmas is, presents.

In order to brighten up a dark time of year, if I choose between decorations featuring Santa and Elves, or Jesus and clan, I'm not going to choose dead-terrorist-on-a-stick.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:11 AM

My dad is a non-churchgoing christian and my mom is an ex-nun turned atheist. I wasn't raised to believe in anything, but I've been an atheist for as long as I can remember. My family always celebrated Christmas but there was never any mention of religion. I guess we just thought it was a good excuse to have a tree in the house, exchange presents, and see family. I've thought a lot about abandoning Christmas lately as it has become increasingly -EV for me in recent years. But as far as what to do about kids, hell yes I'm going to let them have Christmas. I hate Christians with a passion, but Christmas is one thing they got right. I'm more than happy to hijack their holiday for my own selfish purposes, and you should be too. It's an excuse to get together, something to look forward to, something to make you refrain from killing yourself because of the sheer monotony of everyday life. Plus that's when most jobs and schools will give people time off. So why not have a holiday? And what the hell, christmas is as good as anything.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:41 AM

hiya dogreplacer,

Thanks for bumping up this thread again and giving me an opportunity to again come in defence of xians on a thread where I had not contributed before.

I think the spirit of xmas is wonderful... "Peace on earth to all people of good will etc.. ". I often ponder those words at that time which happens to coincide with a lot of other creeds' festivals too, altough I am not a xian. I think that the evocation/stimulation of that spirit is absolutely wonderful and surely should not be limited to xians. I just wish that xians would feel the same way, and also reflect on to this, rather than trying to force their believes and behaviours on other.

Merry xmas from an atheist [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (A bit premature, I know, but not so, according to commercial interests)

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]