Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 11-18-2005, 10:50 AM

Default Some 5 card stud hands

These hands are hypthetical, but situations like these come up often, would be nice to read how people would play them. The table is 0.5/1.0 limit with 0.05 ante (prima). It is a 8 person table with 7-8 active players. Normal mixture of players, most are very very loose passive and 2-3 (including me) tight agressive regulars. 4-5 persons usually see 3rd.

1. Suited high live card play: 2 brings it in for a small bet (0.25), 8, 5, K and J call. I have (Q)Ts and am last to act. Should I:

a. Fold
b. Call
c. Raise

2. Small pair play: 3 brings in for the large bet (0.5), K reraises, everyone folds to me, I have (5)5 and one person behind me to act who has an 8 showing. Should I:

a. Fold
b. Call
C. ReRaise [not sure if I can do that, it seems that sometimes people can do it sometimes not, why?]

3. Hidden weak ace play: 5 brings in for the small bet (0.25), an 8 folds, I have (A)5, two persons behind me have K showing, the rest of them medium cards. Should I:

a. Fold
b. Call
c. Raise
Old 11-18-2005, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Some 5 card stud hands

Hand number 1) fold. you have nothing and are behind the king. You need an overcard to everybody to play. Being suited means almost nothing in 5 card stud.

Hand number 2) fold or raise, depending on opponent. If He's wiling to raise with two big cards, reraise him.

Hand number 3) Call or raise depending on how loose, tight your opponents are.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:45 AM

Is 5 card stud realy that unintresting? Or is the questions to bad or low level? I personaly would say that the winrate in 0.5/1.0 5 card stud is way higher than compared to 7 card stud at the same level for a good player. It also has very low variance.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:30 AM

I've never played 5 card, but I'll give it a shot.

A) fold. a King and a jack both called, which limits longshot straights and plus if the king pairs on the river, even if you hit your queen or ten, you are likely to put in unnecessary bets on a losing hand. Same for the ten, since now you have 2 hands to compete with instead of 1. The suits don't matter much, straights and flushes are nice when they hit, but with only 5 cards total, the chances are not as good that you will get one of those.

2) If you can reraise to isolate the king, great. If he has kings in the hole, you need a 5 or to hit a second pair. You don't want 8 to stick around and get another card to bust your pair.

3) one of your outs is gone, and if you raise, the kings might see that and decide to race since they have a higher door card showing and the same number of outs for non paired cards. Not sure what I'd do, if I was playing this game I'd probably play alot of pairs, and high live cards, ace in the hole would be good, but since I got one less out, I might pass on it.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:20 PM

Normaly it would be fold/fold/fold for me, but I would sometimes limp on the first hand hoping to hit a queen on 3rd and then value bet all the way. The second hand is pretty marginal, it will be threehanded no matter what and even if you happen to have the best hand now the chance of getting out drawn is very big and it is hard to know where yoy are. The third I would also fold and waiting to I get a higher, live, kicker.