Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-19-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Continuation Betting OOP at party $25, should I even bother?

I don't usually play much cash games so I'm starting at the bottom of the texas holdem ladder, the party $25.

At 6 max when I raise to $1, I almost always get a caller. My opponent will then call my contination bet on a lot of flops with any pair, a flush draw, and overcards. I could fire a second barrel but then I'm bettting on two streets without any idea of where I'm at.

Should I even bother to continuation bet OOP here?
Old 11-19-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Continuation Betting OOP at party $25, should I even bother?

I've made a good amount of money by continuation betting, and I do it almost every time it's heads up.

A couple considerations:
Do you have pokertracker and a HUD? You can simply see your opponents tendencies, and whether or not they are inclined to fold to a flop bet.

MOST importantly, are you potting the flop? My CB's used to be 1/2 pot bets, but I've come to realize that full pot bets command much more respect.

I'd say about 80% of my "grinding" profits come from CB's, and I've been playing the 25's at Party.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've made a good amount of money by continuation betting, and I do it almost every time it's heads up.

A couple considerations:
Do you have pokertracker and a HUD? You can simply see your opponents tendencies, and whether or not they are inclined to fold to a flop bet.

MOST importantly, are you potting the flop? My CB's used to be 1/2 pot bets, but I've come to realize that full pot bets command much more respect.

I'd say about 80% of my "grinding" profits come from CB's, and I've been playing the 25's at Party.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe that's my problem, I usually bet around half-2/3 the pot on a CB. If you pot it on the flop, isn't it more of a value bet with ace high? Haven't got pokertracker yet, but probably need to.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:15 PM

if your only plyaing 1 6 max, you dont even need poker tracker, i know quite a few people have turned up their winrate by just paying attention to the table than the stats.
Make a mental note (or an actual note) on who folds to C.bets and who refuses is the key.

Mixing up the size of the c.bet also helps. Do you bet a made hand the same way you bet at a missed flop?
Old 11-19-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you pot it on the flop, isn't it more of a value bet with ace high?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, because you want the villain to fold. Fold equity is HUGE with CB's in the right spots. Think of how often AK's and AQ's miss flops. If someone bets INTO you, who also raised preflop, wouldn't you be more than willing to muck your hand?
Old 11-19-2005, 04:26 PM

Ah, the party $25 NL 6-max tables.

Ok, first off, table selection. This gets back to what the guy who mentioned PT was talking about. You need to know what kind of table you are sitting at. some of the 25 6maxes are uber tight, and you should raise with a lot more hands and always CB. However, the best 25 6maxes are much more loose and bad. With average pot sizes of $14 or more, you can find some great $25 NL 6max tables. I would choose those.

At the looser tables, you should raise with most strong hands in position, and reraise with AKs or better. I would not reraise with TT or JJ in most cases unless you have a strong read. OOP, you should raise with AKo or better. I would not raise with TT OOP. Your goal, as always, is to force the weak loose players at the table call you with worse hands, and for you to pick up their leaks in EV. The problem is when you miss with AK, AQ, etc.. b/c they will keep calling down (which is what you want).

Rule #1: Always continuation bet no matter the flop if it is heads up and if the villain in the hand with you has a stack at least 2x > pot.

Rule#2: Always continuation bet if you hit TP and if there is an obvious draw.

Rule #3: Mix up your continuation bets in multi way action no matter if you hit or not (i.e. 8 out of 9 times CB 75% of pot if you hit and 2/3 of the times if you dont hit; this way no one knows if you hit b/c they wont be able to figure out the pattern)

Rule #4: Slowplay monsters (i love to check top two pair or top set etc on party b/c donkeys on the more aggressive tables love to try and take a stab at the pot; this only works once or twice at a table....

Please give me questions or feedback regarding my brief guide to destroying the $25 NL 6max tables.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Rule #4: Slowplay monsters (i love to check top two pair or top set etc on party b/c donkeys on the more aggressive tables love to try and take a stab at the pot; this only works once or twice at a table....

[/ QUOTE ]
Rule #4 can cost you a lot, a LOT of money. Play your sets and two pair hands full speed ahead in 95% of situations. Slowplaying will usually cost you money by either A: Winning you a tiny pot on the river, or B: Give your opponents unlimited odds to outdraw you.

You'd be surprised what people will call your flop raises/reraises with. Take advantage.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:38 PM

i agree, play your made hands and missed hands in a similar fashion or else you wont give them chances to pay you off with TPTK and similarly bad hands
Old 11-19-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't generally slowplay anything lower than a nut straight unless the board is very scattered, for a couple of reasons:

1) they will usually call anyway, so you're just leaving money on the table by checking. Flopping top set and then watching villain check it to the river is annoying.

2) you often don't want them to stick around for a turn card. Flopping top set and then seeing villain hit one of his rare outs for a well-hidden straight is annoying.

3) the turn could be a scare card that will kill the betting action. Flopping top set and then seeing villain check-fold to a third suited card on the turn is annoying.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:45 PM

Note, you only slow play monsters when it's a mutli way pot (given rule #1). In the looser tables on Party I have seen guys bet half their stacks with no pair and no draw a lot, especially when they are in position and it's checked to them. Your goal with a monster in a mutli way pot is to maximize value. If you can bring another caller along on the flop bet from the donkey betting with nothing, than you have increased your winnings by 50%. I definitely think that is worth it.