Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 10:29 AM

Default Re: KQo. PARTY 1/2. RIVER.

If he has an ace and didn't raise the turn, he's probably not going to raise the river either. If he has the flush his turn indecision may indicate that he's somewhat scared of your hand, and will probably not raise. A full house would probably not check raise this river, because there is no evidence you have the flush, so that card may scare you into checking behind. So I think it's a bet. He calls with worse kings. A lot of "probably's" though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If he raises I don't like it, but against a complete stranger getting 8:1 I think it's a call.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:24 AM

I check behind on the turn a lot in situations like this against tricky opponents... probably more then is optimal. But in this spot, we have no reason to believe that our opponent is prone to getting out of line so why not bet the turn and take the free showdown if the draw comes in?

I agree with your thoughts in general but against an opponent who is unlikely to bluff the river and seems like he could call down with a lot of holdings (just going with the possibly scared read) I think we might be missing some value by checking behind on the turn.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:17 PM

Bet the turn, bet the river, and fold to a river raise.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:11 PM

He could be checkraising a made flush, but that's ok, I think betfolding edges out checking behind with bet-calling the show horse (bet-raise never got out of the gate). If he's taking a shot he's not going to take a bad hand to the river and then overplay it. A pause by a player like you describe is usually a calldown or fold decision.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:59 PM

You should make up any missed value bets on the river, pick up some extra money from total bluffs and calls from very weak hands that would have folded, etc.

If he's so passive that he won't ever raise the turn with a hand you can beat, and he won't bluff the river after you check the turn, then yes, betting the turn becomes the better option. However, at 100/200, I suspect you don't see many players like this. Even the passive ones are probably pretty aggressive.

-Eric
Old 11-18-2005, 04:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he has an ace and didn't raise the turn, he's probably not going to raise the river either. If he has the flush his turn indecision may indicate that he's somewhat scared of your hand, and will probably not raise. A full house would probably not check raise this river, because there is no evidence you have the flush, so that card may scare you into checking behind. So I think it's a bet. He calls with worse kings. A lot of "probably's" though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If he raises I don't like it, but against a complete stranger getting 8:1 I think it's a call.

[/ QUOTE ]
ok, i agree w/ everything in this post.

i bet the river, he paused and then raised! fvck.
i folded, but i think i folded cause i wouldve felt like such a sucker here putting in 2 bets on the river w/ just a K (as opposed to a bad A).
i basically had to force my self to hit fold and felt kinda bad about it right afterwards. i think paying it off mgihtve been best.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think paying it off mgihtve been best.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you'd be good here 0% of the time. Especially if he thinks you're aggressive, this is how he'd extract the max with trips (or top boat). If he's uber-tricky it could be a bluff, but I would say this isn't the spot to prove that theory, as he seems to know you haven't got a better Ax hand.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:11 AM

Pre-Flop - Standard

Flop - Standard. You have to put a read on your opponent starting here cause of the A and the flush draw on the board.

Turn - Standard. The call here should be an indication of your opponents holding. He can only call here with 3 hands, split K, slow playing trips A, or flush draw(maybe gutshot straight draw?) I don't think he'll call here with anything less than a K though, mid pair could be likely if he's a calling station.

River - The card didn't help anyone so you are either behind or ahead here. If you decide to value bet the K you might have to fold to a raise on the river, I don't see any card that you can beat here unless it's a bluff. My first intention was to just check it through since the A on the board really scares me. I don't want to get bluffed out too so I rather see what type of holding he called me on the turn, this way you'll see if he respect your plays for future purposes or if he's trying to get cute.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:54 PM

I check here. if you bet and he c/r I'd fold. reraising here is unthinkable.