Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 07:36 PM

Default Way too passive, right?

I'm guessing yes, because this hand couldn't have been any more passive if I tried...

15/30 Stars game, 6-handed on a 10-max table. I don't have the hand history handy though, so I'm posting this longhand.

UTG seems solid and ABC-ish, no reads on the button, and SB is an "any two" type preflop, but seemed a little weakish postflop, which I am guilty of on occasion as well (which you'll see here, though I had reasons this hand).

Preflop: UTG raises, two folds, button and SB call, I call $15 from the big blind with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Four players to the flop for $120.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB bets $15, I call, UTG raises, Button calls two cold, SB 3-bets, I call two. I only called because I thought there was a fair chance UTG would cap for me, and I my hand would still be concealed for the turn. UTG didn't oblige though, and just called. Button called as well. All four of us to the turn for $300.

Turn: [5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Not the greatest card in the world, and the SB comes out firing yet again. I just call, and this is where my biggest question in the hand is. Is a raise mandatory here? In hindsight, I think I need to raise the turn here to put pressure on all the draws that are out there, many of which beat me. Anyway, UTG and button both call behind. All four of us to the river for $420. The thing is, I want a bare 8 to call, and two bets would likely fold one out. Is that completely faulty thinking?

River: [5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG bets yet again, and I call behind, intending to call one more back around, possibly two if the SB puts in the second. I thought the call was superior to a raise on the river, as it appears likely I'll get an overcall or two behind, and I'd hate to get 3-bet here.

Thoughts? The turn is atrocious, right? Is that the only poor street?