Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION

Old 11-06-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Moderator generated titles

I received a request to give another poster an honorary title, and the requester stated that this was being done liberally on some of the forums. My understanding is that the titles should only be generated automatically based on post count. Is this correct, or are the moderators allowed to change them?
Old 11-06-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Moderator generated titles

Hundreds of posters have had their titles changed by moderators (often friends).
Old 11-06-2005, 03:53 PM

The more people with interesting/ amusing titles, the better. The default titles are worthless, especially because they encourage the culture of basing status around post count, which is stupid and leads more people to make vacuous posts to inflate their count.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:42 PM

Yeah changing titles is fine. Most of us have done it for friends. I usually won't do it unless someone asks me personally, though I have changed spammers titles to "spammer" or some such.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The more people with interesting/ amusing titles, the better. The default titles are worthless, especially because they encourage the culture of basing status around post count, which is stupid and leads more people to make vacuous posts to inflate their count.

[/ QUOTE ]

the only person's ive changed w/o being asked is TxRedMan's and i think the change is appropriate.

Barron
Old 11-07-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't entirely agree. I think that now some people are looking at those with a custom title as being "ranked" higher than Carpal Tunnel. I had one poster who complained to me about them, saying it created an atmosphere where there were four classes: Admins, mods, the aristocracy, and the peasants (those w/o custom titles).

That said, I'm not anti-title. I just don't think they remove the class system you're alluding to. I think they can be funny, though. I've had a couple of people ask me for custom titles. I told them they had to come up with something clever that they would earn. One person did, and I gave it to him. The rest haven't gotten back to me.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:57 PM

"I had one poster who complained to me about them, saying it created an atmosphere where there were four classes: Admins, mods, the aristocracy, and the peasants (those w/o custom titles). "

I assume you promptly changed his title to peasant