Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 11-03-2005, 09:19 AM

Default Re: what makes a conservative/liberal and 4 issues

You are using antiquated definitions of liberal/conservative. We have all been through this discussion before here. We use the modern definitions in context with current usage. This is about politics, not arcane English language usage.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You are using antiquated definitions of liberal/conservative.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps. Liberals come from Mill and Locke. Conservatives come from Machiavelli and Hobbes.

[ QUOTE ]
We use the modern definitions in context with current usage.

[/ QUOTE ]

An interesting modern problem is that current usuage is confusing. I can illustrate this best by showing how this confusion has prejudiced many liberals against free trade. Fiscal conservatives are for free trade. Some are socially conservative and some are socially liberal. Whenever the media labels a socially liberal Republican as conservative it confuses the less than intelligent liberal. The liberal of average intelligence subliminally lumps that republican with Cheney and Pat Robertson. This is completely unfair to that person and his/her ideas. This particular republican, perhaps, could care less about America maintaining her role as the aresenal of democracy or the leader of the free world. This Republican only cares about giving poor people a fairer shot at the American dream. But his ideas and motivations are shot down as soon as the average liberal hears the word conservative. To that end I wish that our media more accurately labeled politicians and explained their labels better.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:28 AM

While I dont agree with minium wage and I believe it hurts the overall economy, in this day and age, it doesn't have a huge effect. I think tax cuts, would be the primary difference. Even Clinton raised taxes on the middle class...
Old 11-03-2005, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Perhaps. Liberals come from Mill and Locke. Conservatives come from Machiavelli and Hobbes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people dont even have an idea who these important figures are. I really wish I would of read The Price, by machiavelli in 10th grade instead of using notes, definatly need to read that one day.

However I think Conservatives would be more definated by James Madison and his idea of federalism and Adam Smith. For liberals you could throw in FDR and John Maynard Keynes.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However I think Conservatives would be more definated by James Madison and his idea of federalism and Adam Smith. For liberals you could throw in FDR and John Maynard Keynes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Modern conservatives have no use for federalism.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Modern conservatives have no use for federalism.

[/ QUOTE ]

WRONG. Modern REPUBLICANS have no use for federalism. At least that would be debatable.