Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 08:39 PM

Default 10/20 Top set on monotone board.

Effetive stack is $2.3k. Villain is pretty aggressive. 6-handed.

I make it $80 UTG+1 with KK, Villain in CO calls, button calls, blinds fold.

the flop is Ks Js 3s giving me top set. I lead for $250, villain minraises and button calls. What do you do here? I hate to call here and see a 4th spade come off. So I pushed.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:42 PM

Default Re: 10/20 Top set on monotone board.

Looks good.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Effetive stack is $2.3k. Villain is pretty aggressive. 6-handed.

I make it $80 UTG+1 with KK, Villain in CO calls, button calls, blinds fold.

the flop is Ks Js 3s giving me top set. I lead for $250, villain minraises and button calls. What do you do here? I hate to call here and see a 4th spade come off. So I pushed.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is terrible reasoning. Acting because you don't know what to do. That's ok, your play isn't too bad, so this time it works out.

You have two options, calling and pushing. You can't raise to any other amount (the bet's already at $500 at the pot is well over $1000) but who calls two raises there just on a draw? Maybe AK / AJ with the As, but still, that call is fishy.

I would call, look at the turn, and check. There's no way this turn goes check check check so I wouldn't worry about a free card.

That being said, your flop push is also a good option. You have top set in a sizeable pot. You either have the best hand or a good draw, and you have the best hand alot of the time. Bottom or middle set will not fold here, and a hand like AsKh might call too. It is clearly +EV. I think taking a look at a turn is higher +EV.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:18 AM

I would call, look at the turn, and check. There's no way this turn goes check check check so I wouldn't worry about a free card.

Ugh.

Jma, I think you made the right decision though you should look at the reasoning a bit more behind it. Think through why you would want to push vs. just calling, rather than saying "don't really know what to do so I pushed."

- C -