Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 11-02-2005, 04:40 PM

Default Re: PCA DSO Hand - 5 left - Do I make the call?

Does anybody disagree with me about taking into consideration ALL of the prize pool, including the $650 for 2nd and 3rd? Yes, I'm playing for first and will not pass up what I think is a +EV situation to increase my chance of winning $650. And I'm willing to make some steal attempts. But I don't think ignoring the $650 for 2nd and 3rd is correct. It should at least be considered.

But I'm open for alternative thoughts.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:41 PM

When you say "CO: 4145" and "Button: 590" do you mean "SB and BB"?
Old 11-02-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you say "CO: 4145" and "Button: 590" do you mean "SB and BB"?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes sorry. I edited thread a couple of minutes ago. Fortunately since they weren't involved in the hand I don't think it makes a difference to those who have already responded.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anybody disagree with me about taking into consideration ALL of the prize pool, including the $650 for 2nd and 3rd? Yes, I'm playing for first and will not pass up what I think is a +EV situation to increase my chance of winning $650. And I'm willing to make some steal attempts. But I don't think ignoring the $650 for 2nd and 3rd is correct. It should at least be considered.

i think you can pretty much forget about 4th place $$.. .but 2nd and 3rd is dececnt amount of cash.

I don't think it affects your play much though. (or atleast, shouldnt)
Old 11-02-2005, 04:45 PM

Im really getting anxious to here an out come here.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Final table of the PokerStars Double Shootout. We're down to the final 5. Winner gets the $12k package. 2nd and 3rd get $650. 4th gets $65. Play has tightened up. The two larger stacks aren't getting into big battles. The shorter ones also seem to be waiting for something to happen. I haven't had much resistance when I've opened pots and I believe I'm the best player left.

UTG: t1180
MP: t6275
Hero: t1310
SB: t4145
BB: t590

Blinds 50/100

UTG pushes t1180. I'm positive this is not a steal and he has some sort of real hand. I cannot remember the last time he opened UTG. MP folds and it's on me.

What range of hands would you call with?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I think he's pushing like... 44+,A7s+,A9o+,KJs+, then I would call with 99+/AQ+. If I think he's pushing more like 66+,ATs+,AJo+, then I would call with TT+/AK. I think that folding any hands that are TT or better here is just silly.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:58 PM

Results posted in white below (just in case others want to respond prior to seeing what happened):

<font color="white">I had AQo (although it wouldn't make a difference to me if it was suited or not). I thought the most likely range was 77-JJ, AK with some possibility of AA-QQ, AQ, maybe AJ but I just don't think he pushes all those chips with that. Against his most likely range I was a 3 to 2 dog. Adding AQ and AJ and I'm just a bit behind. Throw in KQ and I'm a very, very slight favorite. With some possibility of AA-QQ I just didn't see this as looking very positive for me.

I figured I was a coin flip. I didn't want to call a coin flip. I would have pushed if it were folded to me but the gap concept prevailed and I folded. He won the pot uncontested.

I wound up getting knocked out 5th when it was folded to the SB who was the big stack, he raised, I had KJo and pushed knowing he'd call. I gave him a much greater liklihood of stealing and figured I was a slight favorite against his range. He had 88 and I lost.

Of course, I wondered how things might have turned out if I had called with AQ. In retrospect, I do think folding was correct but wanted to make sure my judgement was too colored.</font>
Old 11-02-2005, 05:08 PM

I would have played it the same way you did. How did you end up placing?