Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-01-2005, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Weird river hand

id just call the river... looks like KQ or maybe something like 99.
if youre gonna raise, make it v small.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have AA? WTF am i missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just saying that although checking behind with AA is better than betting the flop with AA, I would also raise preflop with a variety of weaker hands including 77 and 54s. In those cases, I would prefer to bet the flop and set up a double- or triple-barrel bluff that will let me take it down a good amount of the time. KKx isn't really the best flop for this because Kings are pretty popular cards, but on a 33x flop I'll just keep firing away with AA or with any other hand. Maybe I'm getting something confused; for those of you who advocate checking, do you check behind on KKx flops specifically, or any paired flop?
Old 11-01-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You have AA? WTF am i missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just saying that although checking behind with AA is better than betting the flop with AA, I would also raise preflop with a variety of weaker hands including 77 and 54s. In those cases, I would prefer to bet the flop and set up a double- or triple-barrel bluff that will let me take it down a good amount of the time. KKx isn't really the best flop for this because Kings are pretty popular cards, but on a 33x flop I'll just keep firing away with AA or with any other hand. Maybe I'm getting something confused; for those of you who advocate checking, do you check behind on KKx flops specifically, or any paired flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
I personally like to check behind often on any paired flop. If he didn't hit the flop hard, it is unlikely that the next card will make his hand. And if he did hit it hard, I'll be very happy I check behind. Particularly if the turn brings a miracle two outer for instance. But even if it doesn't, checking the flop helps in pot control and inducing bluffs.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would check this flop with almost any hand I raise PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

And then you lose the chance to win the hand when you totally missed with suited connectors or Broadways. In a vaccuum, checking the flop with AA is probably best, but I don't like to play specific hands differently than the rest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting the turn as a bluff is allowed, too, with the hands you mentioned.

You know... There is ALOT to be said for mixing checks on the flop, esp. in this situation. If you check behind, he checks twice, take the pot. Or if he calls weakly you can revaluate putting in a river bluff. Honestree though, just because someone doesnt bluff the flop doesnt mean the pot is yet to be won.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't check flops dawg. I can see how it works out nicely with AA, but I don't want to check behind with 77 and have no idea what's going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you bet this flop every time, what do you do if you start to get checkraised on a flop like this every time?.....do you call every time?.....and then what if opponent makes a big bet on the turn every time?.....do you fold every time?.....or do you lose your stack every time you get outflopped?....

FWIW, doing anything every time is usually sub-optimal in NL.....not saying you HAVE to check this flop, but you don't HAVE to bet either....
Old 11-01-2005, 05:05 PM

I make a continuation bet close to 99% of the time against bad players heads-up. When I'm facing a good, tricky, aggressive player who will repeatedly test me and play back with air, I don't c-bet every flop. I also assume that unknown players are bad until proven otherwise.

Again, like AZK's hand shows, if I check the flop with nothing and then bet the turn and river, it's a lot harder to push someone off a pair than if I start off firing away. As a bonus, when I do have a huge hand, I can get all-in without too much difficult when I start on the flop.

PS. The new feature of posts deleting themselves if you hit back and then forward before actually sending it is stupid. I have lost about three already, in only a day or two.