Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 07:34 PM

Default Where I make an image raise, get 3-bet, and flop a cruddy top pair...

Reads: MP3 enters the hand with 8 BBs in his stack, and is 30/6/0.8 over 30 hands--he hasn't done anything weird so far during the session. BB is LAG (40/16/2) over ~80 datamined hands, and just posted at the table. After winning a nice pot in my first hand at the table, I have PFR'd twice in 2 1/2 orbits and been called zero times, and folded preflop every other time the action was on me. The table in general is pretty good, but I'm not getting any action, so I decide to take advantage of it.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.40 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.20 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP3 checks.

River: (6.20 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, intending to fold to a raise by MP3 or call a raise by BB.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Where I make an image raise, get 3-bet, and flop a cruddy top pair

This is fine, except most of the time MP3 has ace high here and BB has who knows what. Value bet is fine, except I may call a raise by MP3
Old 10-18-2005, 07:42 PM

Default Re: Where I make an image raise, get 3-bet, and flop a cruddy top pair...

i think you should donk the flop, if BB wasnt in it or was between you guys, id c/r, i dont like letting the turn get checked through, your read is only over 30 hands, im not too worried about a big pair just yet, i think you very likely have SB reverse doniminated, i like your river plan
Old 10-18-2005, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think you should donk the flop, if BB wasnt in it or was between you guys, id c/r, i dont like letting the turn get checked through, your read is only over 30 hands, im not too worried about a big pair just yet, i think you very likely have SB reverse doniminated, i like your river plan

[/ QUOTE ]

MP3 seems weak loosish, his threebetting range here is probably only high pairs and AK. You're WA/WB, I like OP's line.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:06 PM

My (very) initial read on MP3 was pretty passive postflop, so I felt that if he raised that probably meant a slowplayed set. That's why I planned to fold to a raise by him...not much of a read at 30 hands, but I didn't think he'd raise the river on a bluff.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:24 PM

Default Re: Where I make an image raise, get 3-bet, and flop a cruddy top pair...

Harv-

I think this hand is played well the whole way.

My question: why the hesitancy to open raise A8s from middle position? if the table is relatively tight except for a few bad players (one of whom is BB and oop) isn't this a normal raise?
Old 10-19-2005, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My question: why the hesitancy to open raise A8s from middle position? if the table is relatively tight except for a few bad players (one of whom is BB and oop) isn't this a normal raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't usually raise this from that position. And the table wasn't really all that tight...they just hadn't been calling my raises, which could have been entirely coincidental. I dunno...this could be a raise that I've been missing.

Anyway, this was a weird hand in more ways than one. I bet, MP3 called (I immediately thought TT or 99), BB folded, and....MHIG! MP3 had 85o. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

He said after the hand that he had misclicked preflop, and then just went with it after flopping top pair. The moral of the story? Misclicks aren't just for multi-tabling TAGs anymore. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]