Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Re: BCS poll

[ QUOTE ]
There will never be a perfect system.

Take CBB for example, there are 65 teams that play. Every year, ESPN or CBS has the selection show, and at the end, they talk about the snubs. "Oh man, baby! (Insert your team here) should have gotten in! It's a travesty baby!" And you almost buy into it, and then you realize the team is 18-12, and has a slim chance to make it to the sweet 16, let alone the final four.

The same thing would essentially happen in football. You would have 8 of the top 117 in the nation, and there would probably be a few teams that would get snubbed, but in the end, the chance that the team would make it to the finals or win it all would have to be slim.

When it comes to conferences, the reason the current system is set up the way it is is all about money distribution. Once you get out of the major 6 conferences, you usually only have 1 team that isn't in these major conferences that is a major threat to break through.

[/ QUOTE ]

True that no system is perfect. I think that it would be good to have a flexible number of teams make the playoffs. Last year, for exapmle, there were at least five teams that should have been included in the post season national championship race. In other years, the regular season may be enough to declare a clear national champion. Of course I realize any such system would be a set up for mega-contraversy.

I think that any playoff would be better than what we have (I favor 16 teams with all conference champions being included, but any playoff would be better.)

I wouldn't mind giong back to the old system, when there was no (real) national championship.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:12 PM

Default Re: BCS poll

I think a 4 team playoff is enough to get the best team in the CFB. That should be enough to make sure every legit title (every team capable of going near 50/50 on a neutral site against the #1) contender gets into the playoffs.