Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Midlife Career Change

I've always said that if I won the lottery, I'd go get a job driving the cart across the driving range picking up balls.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:49 PM

If you want to teach is there not colleges you can teach in? I dont understand the US system fully but over here there is a level below University that tends to provide more vocational courses. So get a mix of people not able to goto uni or adult learners, people getting courses on their job etc etc.

Is there no way to do freelance programming based form home, theres a few websites where people put specs on and people can bid for them etc.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:54 PM

What about some type of physical labor job? I've always wondered if putting in a truly physically demanding day of work is more rewarding then the typical office job. I'm thinking of something like construction, house painter, or landscaper which I think could be cool. Basically something where you will get see and feel a sense of accomplishment.

The main draw back to these kinds of jobs is that they tend to be lower wage paying, especially at the entry level. But perhaps with poker that will not be a factor for you.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to teach is there not colleges you can teach in? I dont understand the US system fully but over here there is a level below University that tends to provide more vocational courses. So get a mix of people not able to goto uni or adult learners, people getting courses on their job etc etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here in the US, most of those outfits are scams. Many offer seemingly legit degrees, but bona-fide universities (where the faculty is mostly PHDs) won't accept transfer credits. I'm just too damn old to go back for a proper doctorate.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about some type of physical labor job? I've always wondered if putting in a truly physically demanding day of work is more rewarding then the typical office job. I'm thinking of something like construction, house painter, or landscaper which I think could be cool. Basically something where you will get see and feel a sense of accomplishment.

The main draw back to these kinds of jobs is that they tend to be lower wage paying, especially at the entry level. But perhaps with poker that will not be a factor for you.

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't get health insurance in construction right?
Old 10-14-2005, 07:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I worked as a construction laborer two summers of college. Doing that for a living will kill you. Every (unskilled) guy on those sites over 50 was a drunken, broken burnout.