Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 01:41 PM

Default LO8 - Who 3 bets this on the turn?

3/6 Omaha/8 (5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Turn: (12 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, Hero ???

I'm drawing to the nut low w/ some protection and nut flush draw. I could be drawing dead to the high (made full house). I decided to just call and see a river since I hadn't made a hand (I figured that someone had an 8 at least). Is this too tight/weak-passive?
Old 09-29-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Re: LO8 - Who 3 bets this on the turn?

Hard to tell what the SB is doing. Who caps the flop and check-calls the turn except maybe a weak 8? Wish I had more experience to know that answer. I think even an A28x would have to lead out on the turn right?

Even if your A2 is still good for the entire lo (which I actually think it may be) you are still on the draw and I'd be suprised if it didn't get capped behind you. I'd definitely just call too and hope I had enough good karma for an Ace on the river...
Old 09-29-2005, 04:10 PM

Pre-Flop- Looks fine to me. AA24 with a suited ace is definitley a hand that you can go to war with.

Flop- Your AA meets a paired board. This is always a good thing. This would warrant aggressive play on its own, but you also have the nut low draw and nut flush draw. Im playing this just as aggressive as you did.

Turn- SB checks, this smells like a busted low draw. I like your lead here. Once you've been raised, though, I slow down a bit. After all this aggression thrown your way, it appears that your high hand is not good anymore. Smooth call and hope you hit your outs. (A, low draw, spade) (although even a spade wont make you a lock)

Basically, you played this perfect. No worries.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:20 PM

I 3-bet the turn. The preflop action makes it unlikely that anyone has anything that connected more solidly here than you did.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:47 PM

I would have played it the same way. Don't think you should reraise on the turn.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this too tight/weak-passive?

[/ QUOTE ]

PA - I don't think so. Should we give these two opponents any credit for having sense or not? If we do, I think they both have an ace and Button has a full house already. And if that's the case, you're only playing for half the pot. And what does that leave for SB? Hard to say for sure, but maybe ace-deuce-X-Y? And if that's the case, you may be only playing for a quarter of the pot, because Button might have an A358, in which case your A4 for low will not win. So, hard to say, but maybe 17 cards are good for you for a half or quarter (or maybe only a sixth) of the pot while 22 cards are bad for you, getting you nothng.

So if you give these guys any credit for having sense, I think you back off and just call.

I wonder if it will turn out that they both have pure garbage and are both just idiots who are throwing their money away. Whatever.

At any rate, I'd back off here and just call. Unless these guys are idiots, I don't think you're likely to see an ace on the river and the odds are slightly against your making the winning or tying low.

The pot is already so large that it will be tough (and maybe incorrect) for you to fold two pair and no low on the river. I wouldn't be eager to put any more in until I saw the river. Honestly, I don't see why you bet a turn you can hardly like to begin with.

This betting is either completely whacko or you're up against a couple of very nice starting hands and a couple of very nice hand/flop fits.

If the betting is completely whacko, you'll eventually get these opponent's money anyway. Otherwise I don't like your chances here very much.

Just my opinion.

Buzz
Old 10-01-2005, 03:29 PM

It has been my experience that many lo-limit omaha players in a short handed game like to blast away until the turn &amp; the put the brakes on if the situation is feeling weak,so you don,t want to give them more respect than they deserve, imo. If neither one of them has an 8, your hand can easily still be good. An 8 is not a likely card for them to hold either, given the strong pre-flop betting. Also, on the turn, you can't give full value to the raise either, because he may be stretching to get out the small blind after he has shown weakness,hoping the raise will get him a free show down on the river. I re-raise.