Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 09-22-2005, 04:06 PM

Default Amazing Play (Stolen for Super System) -- Can\'t Believe It Worked!

Unbelievable play that I somewhat stole from Super System (anyone recall Doyle talking about this?). I just can’t believe I was up against an opponent where it actually worked.

Set-up
500K Qualifier on Party Poker
$9+1 buy-in
Top 7 players get seat in the 500K Guaranteed Tourney
100 players left

Blinds at 25/50

HERO has decided to try playing tournament super-aggressively, but not stupidly. Table image is pretty aggressive, though not many hands have been shown down. The very last hand, HERO made a bluff bet on the river with a busted draw and got called by UTG with second pair. Also, UTG has just limped/called PF with KJo.

Relevant Stacks
UTG (2485)
HERO (2205)

Pre-flop

HERO has K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in MP

UTG limps, 2 folds, <font color="red">HERO raises to 175</font>, 5 folds, UTG calls 125

Flop: (425) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG checks, <font color="red">HERO checks</font>

Turn: (425) [J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] A:club

UTG bets 100, <font color="red">HERO raises to 350</font>, UTG re-raises to 900, <font color="red">HERO goes into the tank…</font>

Here were my thoughts.

I checked behind on the flop because I had been showing aggression and I HATE getting check-raised on that flop.

I raise the turn because I have the nut hand and I want to make the same move I would make if I were trying to steal here. I hope to get called here and follow with a callable, decent river bet if he has two-pair or a set.

Once he re-raises me, I know there is only one hand he does this with. We both have Broadway. So I go into the tank, and use almost all of my clock. I want him to think I am counting my odds/outs and deciding if I should call with my set to try to fill up, or my flush draw.

<font color="red">HERO calls</font>

River: (2225) [J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG checks, <font color="red">HERO instantly moves all-in for 1030</font>, UTG thinks for a while, comments how he thinks I “have color”, and folds.

Now you can say that this move is pointless, or I got lucky, or that no one else in the world will fold here, but here’s the point. If you know you are going to split a pot, and there is even the most minute probability that you can make Villain fold by employing such a play, then it is +EV, and certainly worth a try.

I’d love to hear some comments and analysis, as always.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Re: Amazing Play (Stolen for Super System) -- Can\'t Believe It Worked!

Whoops. Missing what my starting hand was! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Edited to include starting hand now.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:21 PM

no way he 3 bets a flush draw by your reads especially without Kc in his hand. I like it eventhough I think it only works on a donk. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2005, 04:22 PM

If I'm villain, I'm probably moving-in on the turn. See how much you like your "flush draw" then. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2005, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
eventhough I think it only works on a donk. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. But, again, I have nothing to lose if he isn't a donk, and everything to gain if he is one.

Similar to Negreanu's move here (from Negreanu's Blog)

"With the limits at $150-$300, I was running out of time. A novice player limped in from first position, and from what I'd seen from that player thus far, it could mean only one thing: He didn't have a very good hand. So, I raised from middle position with the Aclubs 5clubs, trying to play the hand heads up with position on the limper. Everyone else folded, so I ended up with the situation I was seeking.

Unfortunately, the flop was pretty ugly for my hand: 10diamonds 8spades 6clubs. That's a flop my opponent easily could have hit, but when he checked, I had to take one stab it, so I bet. He called.

At this point, I still thought there was a chance my ace high was the best hand. He could have Q-J, J-9, or even K-J. The turn card was the 7hearts, and my opponent once again checked. Now, I felt pretty confident that he didn't have the straight. I thought there was a decent chance he had a pair, but there was about an equal chance that he had Q-J or something like that. I decided to take one last stab at the pot, and bet $300. It was a half-bluff/half-protection bet. After some study, my opponent reluctantly called.

I didn't know what to do next. I was literally just hoping that my opponent had precisely queen high and that he wouldn't help on the river. The river came down with the 9diamonds, putting a straight on board. "That is either a really good card for me," I thought, "or a really bad one."

When my opponent checked, I was pretty confident that I'd just gotten lucky and was finally going to drag my first chip out of a pot, albeit I'd only be splitting the pot. This player was too straightforward to check a jack in this spot, though, so betting the river seemed like a pretty safe bet. Who knows, he may overlook his hand and fold, I dunno.

So, I went ahead and bet, and my opponent began to study once again. He looked befuddled. It appeared that he was simply trying to figure out what in the world he had! Finally, he called, and this is where the hand got interesting.

Since I recognized that my opponent was a novice and was having trouble reading his own hand, I still thought there was a chance he might mistakenly fold it. So, rather than say, "I'm just playing the board," I confidently turned my hand faceup and said, "Straight."

While growing up in Toronto, I once got this play to work twice in the same session! By feigning confidence, it almost confirmed to my opponent that I had a strong hand and his marginal hand was beat.

Now, my opponent looked at his cards, looked back at the board, and then … sent his cards to the muck! Woohoo! I was totally stoked. I hadn't won a pot up to that point, and I had just won a nice-size pot by default!"