Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 09-20-2005, 11:51 PM

Default Seminole Hard Rock Ft Lauderdale -- Is it Worth It

I'm going to be in Boca on Monday, staying over for 1 night. Since it's only about an hour and a half away (and I have to be at the Ft Lauderdale airport in the morning, I'm thinking about checking into the Seminole Hard Rock Ft Lauderdale.

However, I've read nothing but bad things about Fla Poker, I'm wondering whether this is worth it.

FWIW, I usually play $4-8 or $1-2NL in Vegas or Foxwoods(which is about the right level for my skill)
Old 09-21-2005, 12:07 AM

Default Re: Seminole Hard Rock Ft Lauderdale -- Is it Worth It

Florida’s maximum is $1-2 (might be 2-2 I forget) limit (can't do NL there). Does this answer your question? They probably run some tourneys.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:14 AM

$1-2 "no fold 'em" -- could be worth a giggle, I guess.

I guess I can't expect a 'poker rate' for my room, though
Old 09-21-2005, 12:44 AM

I spent an evening at the Hard Rock in Tampa. The poker room was packed. Yeah, one time, got drunk, had fun - now, been there done that.

Btw, the slots in Florida are goofy too. I put a few bucks in hadn't really noticed - but then when I got back home a friend told me they have to program them a goofy bingo type of way. You'll see what I am trying to say when you get there.

No table games.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:47 PM

I waited 3 hours for a $2 $2 HE table, which sucked hard. Get drunk if you are going to do it. Or play $2 Stud, that was actually pretty fun.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to be in Boca on Monday, staying over for 1 night. Since it's only about a half hour away (and I have to be at the Ft Lauderdale airport in the morning), I'm thinking about checking into the Seminole Hard Rock Ft Lauderdale.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

It's fun to ask a Seminole Hard Rock property for a poker rate, just to see/hear their reaction. But the Hollywood has beautiful rooms, cheap(er) rates during the week, and it's closer to FLL than Boca. I'd stay there again.

More noxious than the $2 max bet (they have SNGs at various price points, with semi-reasonable juice, but the blinds escalate at crapshoot speeds) is the smoking permitted at the tables.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:17 PM

the $2 tampa tables are a hoot, and while they charge for beer, it's 50 cents. My bro in law and I went over christmas when I was down there. Not serious poker, but good, low limit donkey fun. Blind straddle just to piss off the rocks.

Best story, there's an older black lady, probably in her 70s at the end of the table. I'd call her a calling station, but she usually raised preflop on the 7 of 10 hands she'd play, so I'd say she was loose agressive. We get heads up after i flop a nut flush with k x x board (all clubs, don'te recall other 2, doesn't matter.), cap the flop betting, turn is 6, cap it, river is 6, cap it, she stands up (using her cane to help) proudly throws down her king six offsuit and gives a little James Brown "HEH!" --- "GIMMIE MY MONEY!". It was classic. It is now our favorite poker line.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:53 PM

You've got 1-2 HE, 2-2 HE, some limit Stud and Omaha. Half the people are there try to win the bad beat jackpot.

Single table tourneys run at $140, $250, $500. Blinds are a little fast. You start with $1500 chips. Blinds rise every 15 minutes. 50/100, 100/200, 200/400, 300/600, etc...

They have some multis with better blind structure, but they change time/dates every once in a while.