Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 09-12-2005, 01:56 PM

Default Re: best beginner chess books and developing chess books

Of the Silman books, if I had to recommend one, I'd go with The Amateur's Mind. It's a great look at how to think about the game of chess, and is probably suitable for anyone over 1200 rating of so. But as lain21us said, most of his stuff is for more advanced players, such as Reassess Your Chess (which is also an excellent book).
Old 09-12-2005, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should pick up a used copy of Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess,

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-12-2005, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What about a book for someone that doesn't even know the rules yet.... a true first timer's book?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmm... I don' know, maybe try scrolling up this thread about five posts (jeezus, I'm starting to sound like jakethebake. ack!).

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry about that, i didnt even see Byron's post.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:13 PM

I highly recomend How to Play the Chess Openings by IA Horowitz. This is a first book on openings for a player who knows the moves but not much more. It explains the ideas of center control and tempo. It has some brief discussion on several of the most popular openings and their general goals. It then has several example games annotated for each opening. I used to coach chess and regularly recomended this to my pupils.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s&n=507846
Old 09-13-2005, 05:35 PM

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Chess seems to be the current favorite all-around beginner book. I read it when I took up chess again and it's very good, not as shallow as you might think. Don't get it confused with Chess for Dummies, which is not nearly as good.

A good second book is Dan Heisman's Everyone's Second Chess Book. It was out of print for a little while, but it should be back in a new printing.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What about a book for someone that doesn't even know the rules yet.... a true first timer's book?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Game of Chess by Tarrasch and Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess are good choices for a new player.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I highly recomend How to Play the Chess Openings by IA Horowitz. This is a first book on openings for a player who knows the moves but not much more. It explains the ideas of center control and tempo. It has some brief discussion on several of the most popular openings and their general goals. It then has several example games annotated for each opening. I used to coach chess and regularly recomended this to my pupils.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s&n=507846

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to disagree here, mainly on the grounds that a new player should not waste their time studying opening theory before learning the rudiments of tactics and positional play. This book is basically an opening reference with some (unannotated) example games, and would make a poor introductory text.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:07 AM

Capablanca: Chess Fundamentals

Botvinnik once claimed that one could not learn how to play chess without having read this book.

Dutch trainers had lots of success with this: http://www.stappenmethode.nl/stepsmethod/index.html
Old 09-16-2005, 06:07 PM

I second the comment about the Seirawan books (especially Winning Chess Strategies), and it's never too early to start plowing through tactics exercises. My favorite ones are the Livshitz books (I think they're called Test Your Chess IQ? I have the 1800-2200 level one, but I think that there is a beginner one)
Old 09-16-2005, 06:21 PM

I think there is a Chess for Dummies book that might actually be worthwhile.

To all those recommending Silman, Reinfeld's combinations and even Horowitz:

Most non-USCF types when they say 'beginners chess books' probably mean that they barely know how to play and are probably not familiar with notation (either kind).
They might not even know how the pieces move.

Reinfeld's 1001 Brilliant sacrifices is good for someone who, at least, already knows how to play.
But 'beginner' for many people really means 'beginner'.

It doesn't mean "I currently have a USCF rating of 1100 and am looking to improve."