Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior

If you like this sort of thing, which I do, its incredibly [censored] amazing, and the people who made it, know that---they'll do slow-mo triple cuts of hot moves, because, of course, thats what we are watching it for.

Of course, its also riddled with classic Thai chauvinism---to the point of being funny. First the simple villager has to beat up a series of foreigners (representing American service men, Australian tourists, foreign criminals, etc), but in the end the big battle is predicated on kicking a Burmese guys ass. (For those who don't know, Thai history is a long story of getting their asses handed to them by various Burmese monarchs).

Awesome flick.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is one of those like Sin City that is just destined to stay in the queue a long time

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my fault too. I moved and gave them the wrong address and reported it missing in the mail twice so I actually had three copies out at once. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

DICK
Old 09-16-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I watched it about two weeks ago, and the main character (Tony Jaa?) easily puts Jet Li/Bruce Lee/Jackie Chan to shame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf, no he doesn't. Maybe Jet Li, but definitely not Bruce and MOST definitely not Jackie Chan.

I saw the movie in theatres and I downloaded the DVD rip, it didn't have subtitles so I don't watch it. The movie was pretty cool up until all this gay unbelievable stuff started happening. Particularly the chase scenes in the little carts or whatever. The main character also does about 500 flying elbows which get repetitive and boring. There's also a fight scene where some buff Joey Fatone lookalike throws EVERYTHING at the main character. Beer bottles, tables, clocks, live crabs, everything. That also gets repetitive and annoying.

Overall it's like a 6.4/10.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The main character also does about 500 flying elbows which get repetitive and boring.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no they don't.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:54 PM

Best martial arts film of all time.