Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Re: [Golf] Scramble \"strategy\"?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

7 birds, no bogeys...we tied with another group, but won because of a better back-nine score. W00T!

[/ QUOTE ]

man the last scramble i played in was won by -14, i need to find scrambles like yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the course played 6340 or something, 72.0 - 130 with about a 15-20 mph wind blowing most of the afternoon. If someone from a telecom company is going to put up 58, more power to 'em. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2005, 11:38 AM

I'm playing in a 4-man scramble this afternoon.
Most of these one day fund raiser scrambles have better door prizes than what is awarded for first place.

I've won 2 putters for door prizes this summer. I think my strategy of making a small fold in the door prize ticket is the key to my success! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2005, 01:34 PM

One other thing that I'm sure is self-evident, but I botched up was checking where we were in the shotgun assignments and which holes are the "special" ones.

We started on a closest-to-the-pin hole, and had I known that, I would've hit a bunch of extra shots on the range with the iron of choice beforehand. As it was, I tugged my tee shot left of the green, and was immediately out of the running. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2005, 02:30 PM

-7? Wow. I don't think I've ever been in one with a lower winning score than -10. Wind? You get four swings at it, adjust.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One other thing that I'm sure is self-evident, but I botched up was checking where we were in the shotgun assignments and which holes are the "special" ones.

We started on a closest-to-the-pin hole, and had I known that, I would've hit a bunch of extra shots on the range with the iron of choice beforehand. As it was, I tugged my tee shot left of the green, and was immediately out of the running. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear that!
Played a scramble Friday and started on the long drive hole. My 310's usually take five or six holes to develop... Still cranked it, but into the right hand rough. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I started on a closest to the pin hole once, stuck a tee shot to 18 inches right at the horn, and it held up the whole day. It was the only shot of mine we used in the first seven holes*, however, so the rest of my day didn't go so well.

*except for the birdie tap-in, of course [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2005, 03:15 AM

we shot -11 and finished 6 back on Monday.
We took 3 mulligans on a 155yd hole and still made bogey!