Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 10:55 AM

Default Pushing preflop with AA/KK

Recently I have been experimenting with open-pushing preflop every time I get AA or KK at 50NL and 100NL, my usual games. It's been working pretty well as I'm getting a lot of donkey calls with stuff like AJ, 88, etc. Is this +EV in the long run? And by +EV I mean "more +EV than the standard open-raise?"

Obviously with more observant opponents at higher limits this would not work, but I have a feeling it might be the best play at small-stakes NL.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Pushing preflop with AA/KK

Open pushing 100BB? I think you'd have to have exceptional table selection for this to be any good (i.e. be sitting next to a monkey who only has one button on his keyboard, call).

I really can't even see the Party 50/100'ers calling these pushes without TT+.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:16 AM

Don't get me wrong, most of the time everyone folds. I'm saying I think it's possible that the times I get called with hands that are crushed make up for those times.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:27 AM

at micro limits this play actually works out sometimes for me, as I'll get callers with hands like 66 to A-9o. I usually push the all in when someone has already raised in front of me and now they are staring down a huge overbet as I always buy in for the max. I guess everyone thinks I'm bullying them and I'll get called 75% of the time.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:31 AM

My instinct would say it's not worth it. If you really want to try it, save it for times where it looks a lot like you're tilting or being really over-aggressive (after getting a few good hands and playing them all aggressively, for example).

Love your avatar.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:37 AM

From what position are you getting most of the calls from? I could see getting a lot of calls from the button (best position) or even BB (represent stealing out of the blinds). You're also probably getting called by smaller stacks looking to double up. I prefer doing this from the SB or BB since you'll be OOP after the flop. You don't have to push, though (a 10+ BBs should do it).
Old 09-02-2005, 12:10 PM

Seems like I most often get a call from someone who has limped or made a small raise in early position and I push behind them.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:17 PM

I've tried this at NL50 on party and been somewhat successful. I've found the best time do it is when some raises the minimum pre-flop and there are several callers. Then push it in and usually you'll get a call.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:06 PM

does anybody risk going all-in with a trash hand when they reckon everyone will fold, then show setting up a trap when the Aces or kings come next?
Old 09-02-2005, 03:28 PM

Its good idea in SSNL. Maybe not everytime. But from time to time you can try :
a)open pushing after bigpot but you lost or won (ppl will often think : tilt or you think you are invincible)
b)open pushing UTG just for a change
c)raising to amount which looks like misclick for example 88 instead of 8 on 200NL
d)limp/reraising allin from EP
e)just reraising allin after someone raise and someone else called
f)pushing from SB after many limpers

I was making a killing with AA/KK (and even with AKs vs super donks) pushing these hands preflop in good spots. People will call amazingly often. I remember a hand when I pushed for 350$ at 200NL with AK and got callers with KQ and A2 ! or open push with KK UTG and got a call from AK
Its just matter of timing but certainly worth experimenting with.

Best wishes