Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 08-18-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Putting Fish to the Flame. Harmless fun, or education?

intersesting discussion article on this subject actually..
Rofl Slotbloom: Nice Hand
Old 08-18-2005, 06:03 PM

He makes a good point that the "nice hand" is likely to come off sarcastically. The only possible recourse then, I guess, is to offer a very sarcastic "get your head out of your a** you bloody fish!", which is of course one of the highest complements one can pay.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:13 PM

Perfect example. Last night I played in a three handed 5-10 NLH game. Average player gets cracked when a poor player rivers a 2 outer. Average player goes on a five minute tirade about what a F-in tard, etc., the bad player is and how he is going to stack him in 10 minutes. Bad player leaves the table just because he knows it will infuriate the guy who just got cracked.

I lay into the table coach after the poor player leaves, and he says in response, "How was I supposed to know that he would leave?" Sweeeeeet move
Old 08-19-2005, 07:31 AM

Trying to put someone on tilt just doesn't work online--there's too many other tables for them to shift their asses to, and get away from the "[censored]" that's giving them sh!t. The ignore function on the chat is there for them as well if they think it's worth sticking around (perhaps you're the fish if you're concentrating more on typing smack into the chat than playing solid poker). If you really wanna do this, make a solid player or a rock your target, then if they leave you can be pleased about that too.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:29 AM

education is no problem. they probably won't pay much mind to it though, but it may make them more friendly and relaxed. being rude is unacceptable though. As poker players, we need to encourage the recreational players to keep on playing, in this surge of popularity. If we are rude and demeaning to someone, they can leave at any moment and never come back. Hardly "harmless fun"
Old 08-19-2005, 10:05 AM

I play online... I hate it when I'm at a good table and one of the idiots at the table starts insulting one of the bad players at the table (almost always a bad player who is winning money).

My fear is the he'll either drive the bad player away, or drive away some of the other players at the table, thus ruining my good table. So I try to change the atmosphere, making jokes in the chatbox, complimenting the player who is being insulted, making fun of my own play or my own luck or some such thing.

Even online, a table where people are talking in the chatbox does have an atmosphere, and having it turn sour and combative is not what you want if you were hoping to make money there.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Trying to put someone on tilt just doesn't work online--there's too many other tables for them to shift their asses to, and get away from the "[censored]" that's giving them sh!t. The ignore function on the chat is there for them as well if they think it's worth sticking around (perhaps you're the fish if you're concentrating more on typing smack into the chat than playing solid poker). If you really wanna do this, make a solid player or a rock your target, then if they leave you can be pleased about that too.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were replying to me, I have no idea wtf you are talking about. I was trying to give an example of the perils of talking smack to a fish.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:29 PM

Criticizing play in the middle of a poker game is terrible etiquette. Poker etiquette should apply to the online world as well as B&M. I would put players who do this for +EV only slightly above angle shooters.