Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 03:51 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default FFL question #2 & 3 Drafts

Do you prefer 'carryover' leagues over 'start over' leagues?

We used to start over fresh every year so everyone has an equal shot in the lottery draw for any player. I think it added a little more to the excitement of the new year, but many like carryover leagues.

Initial cost of drafting a team. Do you prefer a str8 cost to start? (not counting supplemental and trade fees here)

One thing I was looking to implement before our league broke (I disbanded it, friggin' whiny bitches) was a salary cap draft. Anyone tried this?

If you don't know here's basically how it worked: Say on top of an entry fee, everyone starts with $100 (keeping it simple). Basically, you bid on players like an auction. Except there it does follow a draft order to prevent total chaos of having 12 people shouting at ya. However, once you've used up your cap, if your team isn't filled, you then have to wait until basically everyone else is out of cap room then you can resume. You could also get your whole draft done and not have used up your whole cap. Anyone try this?

I hadn't worked out how I was going to do supplemental drafts with it as we didn't get that far. I also didn't work out how to choose which player in the initial draft to put on the block at which time. I thought about using the draft order to have the team who's pick it was, bring up a player to try and get.

I thought it was a great idea. Except many didn't like it because they wanted to be able to get baked and drunk during the draft and didn't want to deal with any real thought. yes, they actually said that. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Ideas?

b
Old 08-18-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Re: FFL question #2 & 3 Drafts

I prefer keeper leagues.

Salary cap/auction leagues are now easier to do with Bid2Play via AOL Fantasy Sports.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I prefer keeper leagues.

Salary cap/auction leagues are now easier to do with Bid2Play via AOL Fantasy Sports.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you played a Salary cap/auction league? I'm wondering if some prefer one over the other.

Speaking of the online stuff, I remember when a bud of mine wanted to get me back into a league. He told me about ESPN.coms site and how they worked it. I ended up not joining but man, the stuff they have out just makes everything nice and easy.

However, with an auction league, I am now wondering how the money is handled if one does it online. Collect everyone's total cap fee and refund unused portion after the draft? Use the site to account for it? (not sure if many would dig that idea)

b
Old 08-18-2005, 04:24 PM

I prefer keeper leagues. However, most of my leagues start from scratch.

I like the salary cap idea. I have done auction drafts with baseball. Holy cow do they take a long time. I've sat through 6 1/2 hour drafts, drinking the whole time. This once caused me to draft Mo Vaughn. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

It would be cool if it was set up like the NFL so you have to drop that amount of cash to be under the cap. Everone's "salary" would be set by the amount they were drafted for in the auction. LT going for $25 crippling that team and making them take weaker players later. The NE Patriots of the draft waiting until most guys are maxed out then snatching up some solid players under their true market value. Leaving themselves with cap room to make a move. You could turn this into a dynasty league where you have to stay under the cap and you can set each players contract length when you draft them. You can choose whether to guarantee the contract, but then you must keep the player for the length of the contract. If the contract is not guaranteed then another team can offer more money for the player under their cap. However, you could drop someone onto the Free Agent market where a bidding war could start. Free Agents could only cost a dollar, unless there was a bidding war for that player's services.

Oh sorry I got lost what was the question again?
Old 08-18-2005, 04:45 PM

Lots of interesting ideas. Nice brainstorm.

Yeah, I remember thinking that it would take quite a bit longer. I still think it would be a funner way of doing it.

Contracts would be interesting (though I'm still not a big fan of keeper leagues). I guess they'd have to pay extra on top of the players initial price for the length of the contract. Which would also count against the cap. Say you get a player for $25, and the contracts are 1-3 years in $2 increments so if you signed him for 2 years, it costs $29 against the cap. Subject to restructuring after the draft depending on cap room. Meaning, you could put all of them with 1 year deals, but upon the end of the draft you have an extra $5 left over, you can restructure up to 5 players deals for 2 years each.

Not sure how you'd implement the guaranteed contracts. Though I think it would be interesting and possible to put that in there also the way you're presenting it. However, you have to work in a way that the owner gets that player replaced. This would likely all have to happen on draft day as the roster positions should be set afterwards. Even in terms of position on all teams.

Cool stuff.

b
Old 08-18-2005, 05:32 PM

I think the real beauty would be the people who get into "cap trouble." That's where the real skill would come out. Signing a guy early on to a long term deal and then having him turn into a stud. Overpaying for a guy who gets hurt and then causing you to have to fill with mediocre players until his contract runs out.

This would have to be a low turnover, highly skilled league. I don't think you could have a couple of guys in the league that are just playing so they can draft the 49ers roster.

bernie you may be taking the idea of commish a little to seriously. Your not Pete Rozelle, your just there to mediate disputes, set the rules, and to keep track of the stats, trades, waivers and standings.

Going farther than this starts to just make it too much work for you. Fantasy football should be fun for all involved.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the real beauty would be the people who get into "cap trouble." That's where the real skill would come out. Signing a guy early on to a long term deal and then having him turn into a stud. Overpaying for a guy who gets hurt and then causing you to have to fill with mediocre players until his contract runs out.

This would have to be a low turnover, highly skilled league. I don't think you could have a couple of guys in the league that are just playing so they can draft the 49ers roster.

bernie you may be taking the idea of commish a little to seriously. Your not Pete Rozelle, your just there to mediate disputes, set the rules, and to keep track of the stats, trades, waivers and standings.

Going farther than this starts to just make it too much work for you. Fantasy football should be fun for all involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too seriously? In what way?

All the stuff you mentioned can be alot of work. It was when I ran it. Gotta remember, back when I did it it was all done manually. Even the meetings and all. We didn't have computers to do everything and keep track of everything. So it was pretty much all on me. It was fun, I had a blast, but it was kinda draining also. It was a pretty competetive/cutthroat league, even though it wasn't for high stakes.

I got sick of doing it and dealing with some of the people in it. The problem was, I was one of 2 of the whole league that had the nads to actually run the thing without being influenced by other people in the league. But even given that, it was a great experience.

It's been a long while since I've done it. Every year I ponder getting back into one. Then something comes up and I get sidetracked. But with the way it is now, I can ask questions I've always wanted to ask back then so I can better know what to look for should I get back into a league or start my own up again.

As I said, I wish this resource was here 10 years ago.

b
Old 08-18-2005, 06:05 PM

By the by, if anyone is interested in a 2+2 salary cap/auction/dynasty league, I'm in. That sounds awesome.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
By the by, if anyone is interested in a 2+2 salary cap/auction/dynasty league, I'm in. That sounds awesome.

[/ QUOTE ] Logistically I'm not sure how to do an auction draft online. When I come up with one, I might start to think about this. Though, it would also require designing a web site, also something I can't do.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]